Are clothes getting bigger or is it just me? 5'2,160lbs, size 8, and fitting smalls???

@mayz I’m the same height and 5 pounds more than you and just bought size 6 jeans- I was BAFFLED when the 8s were too big. I used to wear a 6 from the same brand when I was like 120 pounds (like 15 years ago)! No way are these actually the same size I wore back then.

@mayz Me too and i was a 7 or 9 back in the 90s.
Actually the juniors sizes were 1,3,5,7,9, and there was no size 0!
It’s called vanity sizing. Retailers figured if you make the sizes vanity sized, women would be more likely to shop where there are a 2, not a six.

@yakob123 100% they are getting bigger, vanity sizing is a real thing. Kind of funny when you consider how prominent the body acceptance movement is. It’s unfortunate how much some women’s self esteem is dependent on the size of their clothes. Idk if it actually makes anyone feel better, but I also don’t think it’s hurting anyone (as long as you know your actual measurements when shopping online)

@dynadin Idk, I kind of think it's a bit harmful that woman and girls who have smaller measurements cannot find clothing made for their bodies. I've never been at the lowest end of healthy BMI for my height, but I've definitely struggled to find clothes that fit my body shape (small waist in comparison with my hips/bust) and I've cried in frustration, even though people think it's a good problem to have. It just makes you feel kind of freakish and wrong when things that are "supposed" to be made for you aren't.

Like many in the thread who wear smaller sizes than they used to, I've often wondered what actually small people wear, if I'm wearing s/xs. I've also noticed that even with checking measurements shopping online, I often receive things that fit wildly differently from the stated measurements.

It kind of feels like we're just pretending small people don't exist anymore as we push for supposed body acceptance, which doesn't seem very accepting of some bodies?

Back