Average to Savage 2.0 - Initial Review

paulotarsus

As part of a shift to more to hypertrophy training, I decided to get Average to Savage 2.0 from Greg Nuckols (strongerbyscience.com). I really value an evidence-based approach to training that reflects current research literature, and so I figured it was worth $5.

So far I am really digging this. The foundation is pretty standard: 21 weeks of block training, with three 7-week blocks (hypertrophy block, strength block, and a peaking/1RM block). The blocks are also pretty standard undulating waves where you go up for weeks in weight/down in reps, and then do another three week wave at a higher weight.

What makes this program different is the auto regulation built in. Instead of flat percentages of 1RM, target weights adjust up or down based on performance. Each session is aiming for 4-6 sets at the target weight: if the sets are easy enough that you can do 7 or 8, target weight adjusts up. If the sets are so crushing (or you having a tough day) that you can only get 2-3 sets out, the target weight goes down. It really means the program adjusts to the actual performance of the trainee--someone who recovers really well can pack on a little more work and go a little faster, but the person who can't recover quite that fast has the volume and intensity regulated to match their pace. Finally, the program is aimed at more high quality sets, and so they are a little easier on a per set basis. So like on my auxiliary deadlift day doing conventional (my primary is sumo) I might do 8 sets of 7 reps--the weight wasn't killing me, but by the 8th set I was truly gassed, and had gotten in many crisp, good-quality sets in.

I also like how flexible the program is. You can do straight rep/sets or do reps in reserve (RIR). You can pick whatever you want for main/auxiliary lifts (e.g. I have a main sumo/aux conventional, main OHP/aux push press, and so on). You can pick the splits/days you prefer (I pack it all into 2 days), and so on.

Only through the first wave, but I am very energized for this. Will report back in 18 weeks with my final peak/1RM numbers.

@paulotarsus I just bought it because how positive the reaction to it on this post.

Still I'll need to do some magic turning this into a dumbells only program, wish me luck with that.

Edit:

I just had a chance to check it out and the set up is super easy and includes alternatives to all main lifts, let's the gains begin.

@paulotarsus
Each session is aiming for 4-6 sets at the target weight: if the sets are easy enough that you can do 7 or 8, target weight adjusts up. If the sets are so crushing (or you having a tough day) that you can only get 2-3 sets out, the target weight goes down.

I think you said sets in there a time or two where you meant reps, but that's what our program was like in college athletics back in the early 2000s and it's a great way to do a program. You constantly push yourself, but when other aspects of training or competing are stressing your body, you back off somewhat to allow for recovery.

@amorfati It's all sets. Target sets are 4-6: if you exceed, weight goes up going forward; if you fail to hit 4 sets, weight goes down. But yes, the general idea is to regulate the program to match what you experience. So far, so good.