Baby's first deadlift and progress pics. 10 kilos down, same DL weight, but I feel a lot better!

nytro44

This is small potatoes compared to the amazing gains I see on so many of you ladies in here, but I'm proud. Before and after of me from October 2017 to this morning. In between, I've lost about 10 kilos (22 lbs) as part of a fitness journey of around 1 year, from 86 kg (189 lbs) to 76 kg (167 lbs) and counting. For a better full body shot, this is August 2017 and this is this morning.

Not huge, I know, but I'm still proud of myself.

I only actually started losing weight when I switched my diet to CiCo in March. I eat around 1500 a day, and cook 80% of my own meals, so my veg intake has probably tripled over the last year. I still have treats if my calorie budget allows, because if I don't then I will eventually snap and binge eat.

My ultimate goal is to drop another 8-10 kilos, if possible, but I've got kind of a broad frame, so I'm just going to stop when I like my results rather than when I hit any kind of magic number. Once I hit that, I want to find a power lifting coach.

I'm actually lifting the same weight in both pics here because I don't do weights very often. I see my PT 3 times a week and we do general full body work outs. Lots of body weight exercises, core and cardio, so a good all over work out but not really a lifting program. This is about 55kg (121 lbs) which I feel quite pleased with as someone who isn't deadlifting more than a 2-3 times a month. I've been looking online to see if this is a good base, but a lot of the websites I find seem to be far more geared towards people who lift regularly.

I would really appreciate any feedback or advice if any of you ladies have it.

EDIT: Oh just to have all my stats in one place, I am 30 years old,172cm (5'8"), currently around 76-77 kilos.

@nytro44 If you haven't trained deadlift really, I'm 100% sure you can deadlift more than that. It takes more technique than people think

Why are you waiting to get a lifting coach until you lose more weight? Just curious

@jesusiscomingsoon It’s a bit of a mental block thing really. I’ve started diet and exercise regimes several times over the years and it’s never stuck before. By the end of the summer I’m hoping to be a healthy weight and it will be the least I’ve ever weighed in my adult life.

Previously, I always tried to change everything at once and it hasn’t worked, so my method this time has been to set myself stages. Step one was get into a weekly exercise routine. Step two was change the diet. Step three is drop weight to a healthy level. And step four is going to be start lifting. I’m not sure if it makes sense, but I’ve found the gradual change to be very effective.

@nytro44 No, that totally makes sense! I like the stages and it's good to have a plan

I was wondering because for me, lifting weights gives solid number goals and shows constant progress so it's really encouraging and way more fun for me than aimless circuit/cardio work with weight as the main goal

@jesusiscomingsoon Yeah the cardio is definitely not my favourite, but this is the first time I’ve ever been able to run a mile, so it’s been great for my overall fitness. I was really at a sub-zero fitness level a year ago.

@mrselliott I’m trying to find a time when I can go see her without other people training. She takes groups of 2-3 and the other girls don’t want to lift. It’s just meeeee. But yes, that’s definitely on the cards.