Back from a Bad Break: Review of Deep Water Beginner Program

jesusiscoming01

Intro

(F) 5’7” 179lbs. I haven’t seen many reviews by women on Jon Andersen’s Deep Water Method over in the fitness wiki. I injured myself in January, and after I was cleared by my doctor, I ran this program to recover my strength and build my confidence back up.

TLDR: program kicked my ass, I liked changing up the progression scheme from increasing weight to reducing rest time, and I’m back to where I was pre-injury.

Background

Sedentary office worker checking in. Five years ago, I started concentrating on powerlifting, but have been off and on with exercise in general, trying to balance work and a new relationship. During pandemic, I did no strength training until September when I built my home gym. I ran the Beginner 5/3/1 program, followed by nSuns 4 day. Squat/Bench/Deadlift actual maxes at the start on 2021 were 190lb/145lb/240lb, all for 2 reps. OHP was 90lb for 3.

Unfortunately, in early January, I slipped on my carpeted(!) stairs, carrying a bowl of cereal, and ended up in the ER with two fractures and a sliced-up pinky. Luckily (if you can get lucky in the context of breaking your body on some stupid stairs), it was mostly just painful and scary, nothing long term. By mid-Feb, my doctor cleared me to resume my normal activities, including lifting, but to avoid contact sports and falling down more stairs.

Program

Generally, Deep Water (DW) is a 6-week, 5 consecutive day program. You can get a free copy of the e-book by giving your email on Jon Andersen’s website or it’s available for $10 off Amazon. (Note he also offers a 3-month DW weight training method for $180, which is different).

For the Beginner program, Days 1 and 3 are 10 sets of 10 reps of either squat or deadlift, and 10x10 of OHP or push press. Days 2 and 4 are 3x10 of back exercises including cleans and AMRAP pull-ups, and 3x10 of bench variations and AMRAP push-ups and dips. Day 5 is 20 minutes of conditioning. The lifting days also include core exercises of sit-ups, 1min planks and/or back extensions. Weight is set at 54% of your tested max.

DW Beginner progresses by reducing rest times. You start with a max of 4 minutes of rest between sets, and every two weeks, reduce the rest time by a minute.

Goals

I’ve wanted run DW for a while based on the reviews on r/fitness and r/weightroom. I wimp out on AMRAPs and was hoping to build up my stamina when lifting.

Post-injury, I wanted to recover my strength and my confidence in putting heavy loads on my back after spending the start of 2021 feeling weak and helpless and freaking out over every minor twitch. I also hoped to return to my previous maxes, but that was a secondary goal.

Modifications

I switched to bench dips, and pull-ups immediately followed by bench assisted pull-ups for more volume. I braced against a barbell for back extensions since I don’t have a machine. I also switched the sit-ups to Russian twists after I tweaked my neck the first week.

For personal preference reasons, I did the 10x10 deadlifts with a trap bar, and all OHP and push press with an axle bar.

Conditioning was mostly running up and down a hill or a HIIT spin class.

I actually emailed Jon Andersen some questions about my modifications, and to my surprise, he wrote back. Since I’ve never had clean pulls in my programming before, I was initially considering using a lower weight and relying on my lighter axle bar. He pointed out that I would probably be inhabited my grip and wouldn’t get the full benefit of the exercise. So I sucked it up and used a regular barbell, then surprised myself by going up to 95lb.

Finally, I really tried to keep to the 5-consecutive-day format but had a couple of weeks with an unintentional rest day midweek due to work. I also made first day of my period a rest day.

Diet

Y’all, this program made me eat. I went from drinking coffee only in the morning to waking up hungry. Breakfasted consistently for the first time in my life, ignored any sort of calorie restriction, and actually tried to meet my protein goals for once (aimed for 130-140g/day). Weight fluctuated up and down but generally is back to where it was pre injury.

The recommended diet in the ebook is five meals a day of high quality, organic protein, fats and leafy greens (Jon Andersen is anti-carb, safe to say). I initially wasn’t going to make any dietary changes, but since the program aims to remove easy recovery methods like carbs and rest days to challenge yourself further, I gave up my regular quick carbs like cereal and chips, and tried not to eat before or during the workout. However, fruits and beans were still a regular part of my diet, and I occasionally ate bread and sugar.

I also drank but had some success dialing that down by switching to Athletic Brewing NA beers. Many thanks to this sub for that recommendation.

Farts

They were bad.

Physique

I purposefully did not take progress photos because I wanted to focus on recovery (Sorry to disappoint—those are my favorite parts of progress write ups). However, my SO started calling me to Geodude, so I guess you could say I reached peak physique with this program.

Experience

I went from 4 minutes of rest between each set to 2 minutes of rest for:

+10x10 back squats: 100lb

+10x10 trap bar deadlifts: 165lbs

+10x10 OHP: 60lbs

+10x10 Push Press: 80lbs

+3x10 Clean Pulls: 95lbs

+3x10 Bench Press: 95lbs

I’m now a week into running nSuns again, and I’m back to where I was in January. (To be clear, I am not suggesting this program “healed” me, just that it allowed me to regain my confidence in putting heavy loads on my back).

More importantly, the program kicked my ass, and I had a great time running it. Most days, I ended each session feeling spent, HR in the cardio zone, and like I could not do another rep with a knife to my belly. Reps weren’t always pretty but the program really teaches you to push while still in recovery. (Only failed twice and reracked once during a set when I smacked myself in the jaw on a push press. Honestly, the overhead pressing was consistently an asshole to me the entire program, but I have now gone from 90lbs for 3 to 95lbs for 3). By the 5th week, I had mostly forgotten that I had this back injury, and I feel prepared to tackle whatever is next.

Before this, if I had to design my nightmare program, it would probably include high rep squats at warm up weight, mandatory conditioning, planks and only benching once a week. Certainly, two weeks in, I was wondering why I decided to go from feeling bad from not moving and eating too much sugar to feeling bad from DOMS and overeating. But DOMS started to subside, I figured out how to eat less like a dumbass, and I was never bored (hard to feel bored when you are always slightly afraid of the next set). The 10x10 were so much easier on my joints than heavy reps, I loved how simple it was, and I certainly got better at pushing myself when the chance of failure is very real.

My only change personally would be starting with a 60-65% estimate for the weight rather than 54%. I began with 54% of my January maxes (rather than the estimated max), assuming that being out of commission for 6 weeks would make those numbers safe. I went up in everything except squat, and I regret not increasing my squat—it’s the only lift that doesn’t feel as solid now at higher weights, and I think grinding at a higher weight would have helped. When I run this again, I will probably target what I feel comfortable doing for 3x10.

Final Thoughts

DW definitely targets men (email and ebook littered with talk like ‘this program will cause most men to break’, ‘don’t be a p****y’, that sort of thing. Email even addressed me as “my brother” 😂). But like the majority of lifting programs aimed at men it seems, DW is equal opportunity for anyone comfortable performing the movements. I ended up rereading the ebook a couple of times because the mental aspect of lifting isn’t something I’ve thought about a lot, and I appreciated learning about his thoughts and background.

Really, I’m just pro any program that challenges my preconceived notions of what I like or can do. And to go from lying in bed, dependent on someone else for basic needs, to pressing 80lbs over my head 100 times is something I am very grateful for.

@jesusiscoming01 Thank you so much for sharing this write-up! What a great way to help you recover—by learning more about yourself and regaining strength!

Your insight could not come at a better time for me as I've been thinking about how to restart my powerlifting training after inconsistent workouts over the past year of panini since I'm no longer working with a coach. This is the first time I've heard of Deep Water, and tbh, I'll kind of be starting from a level of nothing (though not totally de-trained), so I'm wondering if I should ease into things with a different approach or to try this one out. It sounds brutal... but maybe...?

When you mentioned the conditioning was running up and down the hill or a HIIT spin class, did you do that on an off day or on the same day as one of the 5 training days?

@jansina Thank you!

The conditioning is programmed for day 5 with the lifts on days 1-4. Separately, I also ran and did some spin classes throughout the week and very gradually ramped the cardio up throughout the program. (My runs were all pretty trash tho not gonna lie).

@jesusiscoming01 I'm not judging you for doing this program, or completing it. Kudos to you, it seems like a lot of hard work.

My sentiment for this is for the broader community. Is it really O.K. to support people/businesses that use gendered slurs like p****y? I, personally, don't feel like that's right. But I'd love to hear what other members think

@newchat101 I totally hear you. I ended up downloading the ebook and it is a truly wild ride where Jon Andersen’s writing partner is basically jacking the dude off, talking about, ”You’d think he came out of the womb shredded,” ”No one works harder than Big Jon Andersen,” etc. It also is largely trying to set the tone for the mindset required for the program (pushing yourself beyond your limits, like OP mentions), but it is VERY cheesy: “Get wet” as you dive into the “deep water” of the training, navigating depths of your mind you’ve never been before... Honestly, I laughed a lot while I was reading the content leading up into the actual explanation of the program; it read Ike a cult manual, but that’s how a lot of old school bodybuilding mindset stuff is. If you take it with a grain of salt, it’s at least an interesting sociological exploration of masculinity in strength and fitness, albeit an outdated perspective.

There are certainly other fitness professionals (see: Gabby Brost, Greg Nuckols, The Strength Athlete, Christy Senay) who are way more qualified to support—financially and via email signups. But even though I can’t take the man Jon Anderson and his co-author Jasha Faye seriously in their writing (especially since there’s NO explanation of PED usage to accompany Andersen’s workouts/lifestyle), I‘m still curious about the brogram and will likely try it out to test my own mental fortitude.

@newchat101 I don't have an answer but I do think about it a lot as it seems like SO MUCH of the higher level training books written by men does this stuff. Sometimes it's common stuff (don't be a p****y!) but in the 5/3/1 print book Wendler talks about north of vag/south of vag and like WTF?! I want to read about strength not suddenly feel icky from gross sexist shit. I certainly would never recommend it after reading it.

I only recommend stuff that doesn't have this kind of language, and I do wish it would be the default because I just want to lift, I don't want a bunch of toxic masculinity dumped into it too. And it's extremely off-putting to any women who might otherwise be interested in the training.

@teatimebabe28 I don't think much of any requirement for gendered language when it comes to describing an exercise. And frankly, I'd consider a teacher who can't equally teach (in neutral language) to both genders, to be a a bad teacher. Accommodating language should be the standards, especially the health and fitness industry

@jesusiscoming01 This is such a wonderful read and such an awesome write-up! Bless you for heading specifically for protein farts! Congrats on your progress and finding a program for yourself to get your confidence back!

@jesusiscoming01 34F here - I am just beginning my 5th week of the Deep Water beginner program!! 2 min rest here I come 😬

I'm so glad to see this post, well done! I hope to test my max the week after I finish and then I'm going to do the intermediate program.

@jesusiscoming01 I appreciate you writing this review. I've never had an interest in this program, and people like you who put in the work and report back make me feel really solid about that decision. It sounds tough but perfect for what you needed. I'm glad you made it through.

You say "when I run this again." Does that mean it's definitely in your future or you liked it enough that you can easily see it being used again?

And as someone with a dangerous staircase who has fallen down several times in the past few years, that is no joke! I'm glad it was only a minor injury! All the people who claim lifting is dangerous should focus their attention on the real hazards like wood floors and wool socks.

@staywithme Thank you so much! I used your review of RP’s Female Physique as a template so that means a lot!

I do plan on running it again and then DW Intermediate, but honestly, my knees and joints don’t like being at my CV19 weight, and I wouldn’t run DW while actively trying to lose. One of the Fitness subs is running them as a program party in a couple of months, so I’ll set that as my target.

And yes to your point about lifting! I’ve been in and out of gyms my whole life and played sports through college, and the fucking stairs were the cause of my most serious injury. Maybe the wrong takeaway, but what are squats gonna do to me, break my back again? Psssh.

@jesusiscoming01 I've noticed as I've gotten older that my joints really dislike any eating plan bordering on low fat. For that reason alone I wouldn't run anything like this while trying to lose. Or maybe that's a perk of Jon Anderson being anti-carb? Plenty of room for fats without chips and cereal!

A program party is a great reason to run it again. You listed some great learnings from this experience that I'm sure will set you up well for your next time through. I look forward to hearing how it goes!

@jesusiscoming01 I giggled at "avoid falling down more stairs," I snorted at "farts: they were bad."

This is a great write up, and looks like you had a pretty excellent time with this program. well done.

@jesusiscoming01 This was great, thank you! I've also similarly been interested in this program based on its prevalence in more dude-dominant subs like weightroom.

I'm curious if you think it would be possible to add more aesthetically focused movements to the program would be feasible given the intensity of it. (I specifically mean hip thrusts because butt.) I know the program really kicks one's ass throughout — would adding hip thrusts to it somewhere be a step too much?

@kimmyo Hmm so I can only speak for myself but adding any more exercise in the first 4 weeks was not viable. Day 1 (Legs) was just so intense that next three days of lifting were brutal, even though they were “easier” in terms of total exercises. The last two weeks I felt my recovery was better, and I ran/biked more and actually increased some of the weight towards the end of my sets as a kinda YOLO.

In terms of swapping out say the barbell lunges on Day 1 with hip thrusts, this post by @iamasinkingship discusses how he thinks the accessories help set you up for success in both Beginner and Intermediate. So I tried not to fuss too much around with them. But that was just my approach—I think some other folks have successfully played around the accessories.

@jesusiscoming01 Really awesome to hear they were helpful. When I ran the program, there was very little out there about it, so I was hopeful that I'd be able to add some value to the conversation. So awesome to see the program getting more love these days.

Back