Balancing work, studies, & workouts

sophie18

Hi!

I haven’t worked out in SO long. The last time I had an intense physical activity was 2019. I got busy with acads nun and I couldn’t keep up with bandmates (I was a drummer, for school sports).

Ngayon I have gained a lot of weight; I think my lifestyle has gotten sedentary, and it’s making me sad kasi hindi ko naappreciate na ang ganda pala ng katawan ko noon. I’m getting fat, like nakikita ko may layer na yung likod ko tangina HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Most of my classes end at 5:30 p.m., start at 7:00 am, and for every Friday, isa lang subject ko. I spend my vacant hours working (which requires me to sit down for a lot of hours kasi vid editor ako).

How do I sneak in time for workouts? Actually, let me rephrase that—how the fuck do I stop thinking about work all the time so I can give myself the time to at least go for a run?

@sophie18 First of all, congratulations for realizing that you need help/your body needs work. A lot of people can be stuck in denial for so long.

Taking thr first step is the most important part. Once you have started it, next aspect is consistency.

Start with baby steps. Set a small goal for yourself.

You didn't mention what equipment / facilities you have access to.

Three main components of weight loss:
1) Diet: eat less and eat right (eat 3x/day - breakfast, lunch, dinner) limit to 1 cup of rice per meal, avoid oily food, sweets/desserts

2) Exercise: start slow: 1 hour of walking, 40 minutes of brisk jogging, 30 minutes - huling tawad - of brisk walking. Always Amp up the intensity once it becomes easier. Do it at least 3x/week.

3) Consistency - the above won't work if you don't do it on a regular basis.

@brendafox I have been in denial for a long time myself. I only started giving a fuck when I noticed I've gotten purple stretch marks as well as my glasses literally hurting the sides of my head when I've never experienced it before with regular-sized frames. Nakakadepress din yung pagliliit ng shirts ko lol.

I don't have an access to a gym, walang malapit dito, but there's an area nearby that's often used by everyone to have a run in the morning. I don't have any equipment either asides from my mom and aunt's jumping ropes. May equipment din yung tita ko na pang support sa sit-ups, but she doesn't want me to use it in fear of breaking it dahil sa bigat ko.

As for the components, these are my thoughts:
  1. Every now and then nagugutom ako. Like, after every meal, I literally go to the bathroom to relieve myself. Siguro mga 10-20 minutes after ko kumain. Tas magugutom nanaman then di ako makakafocus sa ginagawa ko kasi gutom ako. Now that I'm writing this down, parang kailangan ko nang magpacheck up. LOL.
  2. I could do this. Last 2020 I tried jogging and was consistent for 2 weeks (with weekends as my rest days), I made sure to at least run/walk for 8-10k steps a day. Tas ayun di nanaman natuloy kasi nagstart na classes.
  3. This IS my main problem. I can never be consistent with anything, bumibigay ako kasi dumidiretso ako sa pag iisip na "tangina tataba rin naman ako ulit" or di kaya "andami dami ko pang gagawin bat ko to inuuna" :") Though I find it easy to workout with a group, not friends to be particular (kasi pag kasama ko mga kaibigan ko diretso kain kami shuta hahaha) kasi nung nagttraining ako nung 2019 I had fun with my bandmates kahit na pinaparusahan kami ng iilang sets ng suicides. I don't have friends that live nearby that could work out with me na alam kong hindi madaling matukso ng mcdo, and yung s/o ko naman super busy sa college.

@sophie18 Hahhaa. Ganito din ako! Looking at my pics nugn 2019 pogi ko na pala pero di ko naappreciate hahaha I got back to workout few months back.

College student ka ba? Nung college I do boxing six times a week. Monday to Sat. Minsan sa end of classes na ko sayo 5:30 pero minsan if may 3 hrs vacant ako since one hr and 30 minutes lang naman isang session binabanatan ko na after ng boxing derecho class na then after class pahinga. Medyo hassle lang pero tuwang tuwa kasi ako sa boxing nun. hahah ngayong working na since tuloy tuloy na every gabi na lang tlga hahah sad.

@sophie18 Do short home workouts during the days na kulang ka sa time and get in more work during the day/s when you have more free time.

When I was still in college I also found it hard to sneak in a good workout since I was busy with acads + extra-curricular activities.

Ang paborito kong gawin noon during my busy, which proved effective, were Tabata workouts with burpees. That's 20 seconds on and 10 seconds off(that's one round), with a 1 minute break every 10 rounds. You can also do HIIT workouts, but make sure to do these no more than 3 times a week.

On my off days when I had the most time, I go jogging in the morning and lift weights later in the afternoon.

If you can invest in one, get a pull up bar. Isa pa tong highly recommend. You don't have to do straight sets - ang ginagawa ko noon is 10 pull-ups bago pumasok, another 10 pagka uwi, and another 10 bago matulog. These took like 1 minute each, tops.

And since you're living a sedentary lifestyle(like I am now with my current job), make sure to watch what you eat as well. Since you're not burning that much calories anyway by just sitting down, don't take in too much calories then.

P.S. Don't do just cardio lest you'll end up being skinny fat. You need resistance training pa rin.

Good luck and I hope you can get back that good physique you had before!

@sophie18 Start thinking working out is your work. I dont believe na walang oras to workout. Try replacing reddit surfing to running. Also ano ginagawa mo sa mga oras na to

5:30 to 6am
7pm to 11pm

Kuha ka ng 30mins dito if pwede and i think na pwede.

I have clients na moms with 3 kids still find time to workout and one time have a disabled client yet manages to workout. We have no excuse to not to workout i think nahihirapan ka lang mag umpisa try to actually run and then get back here. Start lang ang mahirap goodluck OP. If you have more questions dm me ill look into your sched and suggest when and where you might singit your workouts.

@mikejody 5:30 pm - 1:30-2:00 am Binabantayan ko tindahan namin. Wala kasing ibang magbabantay, pinagbabawalan rin ako magbukas past 6. Tas after these hours diretso work ako, either trabaho talaga or schoolwork. Or pinagsasabay ko yung pagbabantay sa work. I also have my grandma with me sa tindahan namin, so I can't just leave her alone.

Around 4-6 am, dun na ako makakatulog. Minsan hindi kasi may pasok ako ng 7:00, pero matutulog ako pag may vacant ako. I think malaking factor rin ng weight gain yung pagkulang sa tulog

@mikejody Yeah, I know. LOL. I’m considering moving out kasi malakijg factor din yung family ko. Every other day, nagcocoke, and kahit ayoko I still end up succumbing. Like I’m able to get through dinner without it pero wala rin, mag oorder rin sila ng mcdo, tas di ko maiiwasan kasi aasarin ako. Also emotionally unhealthy rin dito so sobrang dami kong stress.

@sophie18 Just to let you know. We are rooting for you! Do what you think is the best and ignore the toxicity from them. Eat whats best for you and if you cant avoid it eat less than normal. Im coming from a toxic family also both of my parents are not conisdering me as their child im living alone na and its the best decision ove made. Actually we have a lot in common i too myself is a drummer of a band i do freelancing as video editor too! Maybe we can be friend no? 🤣😅

@mikejody That sucks, and I'm sorry to hear that. Glad to hear that you're free from the toxicity though. I'm hoping the same for myself, kaso nagkakaron din ako ng doubts dahil financially challenged kami (or sila, rather) dahil sa meds ng lola ko. And hey, sure! I'd love to be friends! Though yung drummer bit, hindi ako sa banda na nagpplay ng music, drummer ako like yung nagtatambol for cheerleaders HAHAHAHA I'm very interested in learning the drums though!