Balancing alcohol with physique goals. What the research says

@great_depression OP, this is a great post. I appreciate the layout (i.e., broken up in sections). Yes, alcohol is a poison.

That being said, I still drink socially, but my intake has been decreasing the past three years. I now dislike the sensation of being drunk. Personally, I hope that mocktails and alcohol-less beer become more popular. I would like to enjoy a porter or stout without the alcohol. Plus, I can "drink" without being pressured or judged.

@great_depression Killer write-up.

You should not consume more than 15% of your total daily calories from alcohol.

I always took issue with this rule. To me, it likely isn't specific enough. Most beers are only anywhere from 0.5% to 0.10% alcohol. So if I took that rule to heart, I could run wild with it and have ALOT more beer. What I'm sure he means is "No more than 15% of your daily calories from alcohol-containing drinks."

@kingvictor
In the United States, one "standard" drink (or one alcoholic drink equivalent) contains roughly 14 grams of pure alcohol, which is found in: 12 ounces of regular beer, which is usually about 5% alcohol. 5 ounces of wine, which is typically about 12% alcohol. 1.5 ounces of distilled spirits, which is about 40% alcohol.

https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/overview-alcohol-consumption/what-standard-drink

In international units (Sorry, America, I hate that your units differ from most people)...

If beer has 5% alcohol, wine has 12% and liquors have 40% of alcohol and if we assume that these drinks have the same density as water:

13 g of alcohol would be:
  • 260 ml of beer (Around a can of beer - 8.79 ounces)
  • 108 ml of wine (3.65 ounces)
  • 32.5 ml of liquor (1.1 ounce)
23 g of alcohol would be:
  • 460 ml of beer (15.55 ounces)
  • 192 ml of wine (6.49 ounces)
  • 57.5 ml of liquor (1.94 ounces)
56 g of alcohol would be:
  • 1120 ml of beer (37.87 ounces)
  • 467 ml of wine (15.79 ounces)
  • 140 ml of liquor (4.73 ounces)
How to know how much pure alcohol you´re consuming:

Multiply the volume of the drink to the percentage written on the bottle/can and divide that by 100.

Example: A 234 ml can of beer that contains 3.4% alcohol, multiply 234 with 3.4 (you get 795.6) and divide by 100. You are consuming nearly 8 g of alcohol. (If your volume unit is in ounce, can use google to chance it to ml)

Back