Because of my training, my clothes are starting to no longer fit

@countrygurl32 I have also gone up in clothing sizes as I have incorporated (heavy) lifting into my regime, but it's because my butt is bigger (I do not see this as a bad thing.....!) and my back is a little wider with more muscles. My waist, however, is smaller, and my stomach is flatter. My core is remarkably strong now (I'll never have a six-pack, just not in my genetics, but I'm happy with where I'm at versus where I was), and my overall cardio health has improved so much since I started lifting -- I notice this when I do long hikes and trail running -- it's so much easier for me now. To me, this means my body is stronger and working more efficiently. Fuck the scale and the clothing sizes -- all those numbers are garbage. Eat healthy & high in protein, lift well, you'll be happy.

@x That's exactly it! It's mostly my butt that's bigger which makes finding pants kind of difficult because they either don't fit my butt or they're extra loose in the waist. I have one pair of dress pants I wear to work (alternating with leggings... no one has called me out on it yet lol) and they're on their last leg. So ordering pants in a size higher than I expected, then still finding out they don't fit, has been a bit discouraging.

Otherwise, though, I am satisfied that I am strong enough to be above average in my classes. I always challenge myself to keep up with the instructor (or in certain easier classes, surpass the instructor) and it's pretty satisfying. But I always want to do better!

@countrygurl32
  1. Is it reasonable that I could be too heavy to do inversions and special balancing poses as efficiently?

Not really. Flexibility can be had even at higher muscular masses. See gymnasts as an example. I think consistency will give you what you're looking for.

1. Is it necessary to take protein, creatine, etc. after all of my workouts, yoga, running, and/or lifting (i.e., might there be a nutritional component to this)?

Protein yes, in artificial/supplemental doses, to me, not necessarily. You can do the same with eating a good dinner afterwards -- even some quick graham crackers with peanut butter would do. I personally try to incorporate it into my diet more than taking creatine.

1. Are there certain lifting workouts that are most useful to yoga? (e.g., do I need to work on my deadlifts for yoga or does my trainer just like doing them?)

This I'm not sure on. There aren't any lifts that are incompatible with yoga, so just keep that in mind. Again I think consistency is key. If you're looking to tone muscle you can focus on aerobic lifting (higher reps, lower weight) than anaerobic lifting designed for increasing strength (focusing on lower reps, higher weight).

But besides that, all else that other people said rings true.

@countrygurl32
  1. Is it reasonable that I could be too heavy to do inversions and special balancing poses as efficiently?

Not really. Flexibility can be had even at higher muscular masses. See gymnasts as an example. I think consistency will give you what you're looking for.
  1. Is it necessary to take protein, creatine, etc. after all of my workouts, yoga, running, and/or lifting (i.e., might there be a nutritional component to this)?
Protein yes, in artificial/supplemental doses, to me, not necessarily. You can do the same with eating a good dinner afterwards -- even some quick graham crackers with peanut butter would do. I personally try to incorporate it into my diet more than taking creatine.
  1. Are there certain lifting workouts that are most useful to yoga? (e.g., do I need to work on my deadlifts for yoga or does my trainer just like doing them?)
This I'm not sure on. There aren't any lifts that are incompatible with yoga, so just keep that in mind. Again I think consistency is key. If you're looking to tone muscle you can focus on aerobic lifting (higher reps, lower weight) than anaerobic lifting designed for increasing strength (focusing on lower reps, higher weight).

@countrygurl32

@kerriep Chris Hemsworth did an interview saying he prefers to be a bit smaller than he is in the Thor movies because that amount of muscle mass interferes with his surfing, but I agree that 6 months of lifting is not going to get anyone that swole.

@countrygurl32 It's normal to grow out of clothes as much as it sucks saying goodbye to loved pieces. The bright side - growing out of them because you're being healthy not unhealthy.

I have the problem that my lats are getting too swole and I'm now two sizes bigger in tops just because my back is super muscly. More annoying, wearing something a baggy top into the shop and the shop assistant pulls an xs small and I'm like no ty medium please and they look at me puzzled.

@lifeingrey Ugh I have this issue with biceps apparently they’re getting too swole as well and I’m usually a medium in shirts but they only part that’s tight is around the arms 🤣🤣

@akiake Sometimes I can size down to a small if it’s not a crop top (but I live in Florida like weather so minimal material pls) but if it has fitted sleeves it’s always tight around the biceps it’s so annoying

@countrygurl32

@countrygurl32 We gain some fat when we gain muscle. It’s how it works. However, if you’ve gained 20 lbs in 6 months it is likely about 6 lbs of muscle.

Sometimes exercise increases our appetite a LOT - especially if we had little muscle and tended to chronically undereat. It is quite possible that your ideal size as a fit person is larger than a size 0.

If you are concerned you are gaining too much, take a look at your diet. However I will say that BUILDING muscle is hard work - losing fat is relatively easy as it just takes a diet adjustment. You won’t build muscle when you reduce calories, though - if you keep protein high and continue to lift you can hold on to what you have.

As far as being larger and yoga, I’ve seen some very big people who are amazing at yoga - much better than I am, for sure. Just keep up with your practice.

@waiting_soul Sorry I might have explain it wrong in my post; I've gained about 20 lbs in the last several years, it's just been 6 months since I started lifting.

But besides that, you have a good point. I don't think I've fully figured out the nutrition component now that I'm lifting regularly, so I may just need to go back to tracking my intake for awhile to keep on top of it. Because I definitely do notice myself feeling hungrier, and probably overeating a bit.

@countrygurl32 This post seems to be about Weight loss shouldn’t it be flagged (not hating on the poster AT ALL) I just wrote kind of a post along the same lines saying that I feel bigger now that I have increased my cardio and it was removed. I really think it’s a pick and choose what we discuss forum and that sucks as I am a woman who loves fitness and cannot seem to find the right community. Very cliquey attitude to have to alienate posters

In regards to the topic I am sorry you are feeling that way congrats on all your progress sounds like you have really made some awesome muscle growth I’m sure you look AMAZING ! But it is extremely hard to find comfort in your body when you have changed negatively or positively it’s a real thing not identifying as your self. But clothing sizes all vary so please don’t pay too much attention to it

@russel The rules only mention ED/body dysmorphia. Being bummed about your body changing unexpectedly doesn't seem to me like it would count as body dysmorphia. Idk what your post was about but maybe someone interpreted it as being more related to that topic and reported it.

But yeah it's more about expecting a small change and then getting hit with realization it was a lot more than I thought. I ordered pants in size 4 only to find out that in that brand (after picking up some measuring tape) I'm a size 8 or possibly 10... that just felt kind of monumental. Even if I can justify it by saying, "it's just because of my stronger glutes"

So this is more about the mental shift of my body changing. I don't think I'm fat by any means, just not exactly what I'd like/expect myself to be.

@countrygurl32 My post was not about Ed or body dysmorphia it was what I thought was actually an interesting question concerning my cardio increasing and not seeing same results with a lower bpm and getting better results … and feeling like I’m making progress in my fitness goals but it not matching up with my body

@jewish_inquirer 20 lbs from what was previously my normal weight over the last several years, not in 6 months.

I've been working out at various consistencies through all of this time, it's just that I started lifting 6 months ago and noticed the most change from that activity. But hey, you're right, it might not all be from lifting

@countrygurl32 It’s extremely difficult for females to gain muscle. Are you possibly eating a bit more? Strength training makes you hungrier than other exercise as it utilises your entire nervous system.

In your first year of training - women can expect to gain about 1lb of muscle per month, with consistent progressive overload. After that it tapers off as your body gets used to it.