Beginner simple and sinister questions

yangum

Hello!

I’m a newbie to kettlebells and I have a few questions. I’m halfway through reading simple and sinister and I’m really keen to get stuck in. I have an 8kg kettlebell (I’m a woman).

Im just wondering how I might work Simple and sinister around some other goals I have. I’d like to work towards being able to do full sets of push ups, pull ups, L sits, handstand holds and pistol squats (my upper body lags well behind my lower body in strength).

My background is 3days a week full body 1.5hr barbell/dumbbell strength training in hypertrophy ranges. I was lifting for 2.5 years, then had time off while pregnant and recovering, and I’ve been back into the gym for 9 months.

How would I work towards my calisthenics goals along with simple and sinister, especially if (from what I gather so far) simple and sinister is a daily training schedule.

Would I be best “greasing the groove” with my calisthenics, or doing a calisthenics program 2-3 days a week on top of simple and sinister, or swap out S&S days for calisthenic days.

Additionally, after practicing some basic kettlebell movements over the last few weeks I’ve found 8kg seems good for upper body (other than rows) but it feels too light for lower body (goblet squats and deadlifts are definitely too easy, swings seem easy but I’m still working on technique so probably not a bad thing to be light). When should I increase kettlebell weight for lower body?

Anyone have any suggestions?
😊 thanks

@yangum Simple and Sinister is intended to be ran along with other programs. I'd say go with S&S and your 3 day a week calisthenics and see how you feel.

Also go get a heavier bell 😜

@yangum I agree with what they are saying. Ive been doing S&S 3 times a week and gymnastics rings 2 times per week its been good. Just try to get some legwork in there I feel I have gotten my shoulders a little tired and needed to ease back from the calisthenics. Listen to your body!

@jessemini14 Ok cool. Thanks. Calisthenics in general seems very upper body heavy which sucks for a woman because all my strength is in my legs. I’m currently doing shrimp squat progressions for legs (5x5) on training days and I was hoping the swings might add some volume for my glutes and legs- any suggestions on what to add to keep it balanced?

@yangum I think in your case you will be fine because you need to develop that upper body strength. Just keep in mind and if you feel like you are burning out just switch it up for some leg exercises.

@yangum With your background I am pretty sure that you can do 16 KG swings right away and 16 KG TGU after a few weeks of figuring the optimal stances out. Enjoy!

@yangum Doing grease the groove works well with all of the calisthenics you plan to do. It just depends on your situation. For me, I usually get the same number of sets doing grease the groove as I do in a 30-45 minute workout. It does shine with exercises where a solid 5-10 minutes of recovery is needed. So pistols and chins.

If you’re reasonable with the sets and reps, you could do the calisthenics 3-5 days a week along with SS.

About upping the weight, sure! Up the weight whenever you want.

Back