Bone Density Concerns - Dexa Scan Report

zakariyya

Hi everyone! Wondering if anyone has thoughts on this - I did a Dexa Scan and results showed that my bone density is in the bottom 3% within my age group. My BMC is 3.7 and I'm 5'0, mid 30s female. My lean mass and appendicular lean mass index is also in the bottom 2%.

I take Calcium, vitamin D and omega 3 supplements daily. I know I can do more strength training since I mostly like to play sports a few times a week. I'm moderately active but get tired easily and have daily body pain (especially around back and neck -- maybe also because of poor posture). Has anyone else also experienced this? My concern is around osteopenia/osteoporosis -- I was planning on talking to my PCP about this.

@zakariyya Talk to PCP asap to rule out any degenerative diseases that might be causing this. I don’t want to recommend strength training until you’ve ruled that out. If you get tested and all is well, then strength training will most likely help a lot. It’s been shown that heavy resistance training can actually help preserve and build bone density. There are cases where people in their 70s have improved bone density with resistance training

@zakariyya I was diagnosed 3 years ago with osteopenia/osteoporosis at 52 years old. The meds prescribed made me ill so I started strength training. At my scan last year I had no discernable worsening so that's a win

Back