Can’t lose 5 lbs

lt11

Help! I’ve been trying to lose 5 lbs for a year and nothing happens no matter what I do. Started a new workout regime (lagree pilates 2-3x a week) 2 months ago after years of peloton and HIIT. Also started monitoring calories 2 months ago via Noom. I am hovering around 131 -132 and cannot get to 125. I am not stuck on scale but would like to lose fat as I can pinch it all over my body. I refuse to believe that I must settle for this body due to age and genetics. I am determined, any advice ?

@lt11 I think probably what you need is more a focus on recomposition and building muscle. Saying you can pinch fat all over your body isn’t necessarily a great gauge of how much fat you have. I can do that at 17% body fat. If you’re able to get a body fat percentage assessment that might give you a better idea where you’re at. Noom the absolute worst and puts people a dangerously low calorie amounts. If you’ve been in a deficit for a year your body really needs a break from trying to lose weight, I would recommend trying strength training 3 to 5 days a week and eating at your maintenance calories for a while and see how that goes.

@rodneys The Pilates I do is strength training using Body weight and a reformer machine. I have built muscle since doing it and feel like it “leans me out”. Yet not enough! With Noom my cals are usually 1500-1800 a day which doesn’t seem very low.

@lt11 Yeah that calorie and take is probably good, everybody have known who’s done new has been put at 1000 to 1200 which is obviously stupid and ridiculous LOL. I guess I’m not sure what advice you’re looking for if you’re not willing to try another type of exercise, most people I know who feel stuck where you are only have success with weight lifting. Only two or three days a week isn’t enough for some people to see substantial change, I know it wasn’t for me. Maybe if you try five days a week you’ll have better luck

@rodneys Yeah I don’t have time for more exercise and I’m trying to figure out if I should try different calorie intake, IF, or reverse dieting is that what is called lol

@lt11 If you’ve been in a calorie deficit for a long time I do think reverse dieting two your maintenance calories and staying there for a while is probably a good idea. I also think just trying to make peace at where you are at right now if you’re unable to make changes in your exercise routine may help

@lt11 In that case, you probably have not been in a calorie deficit this whole time. Use that TDEE calculator, figure out your daily maintenance calories and eat 500 less than that.

@lt11 I have never lost weight counting calories from working out just doesn’t add up for me somehow.. you might be eating too many calories, it’s not the sexy answer but it’s most likely the science answer. I have been maintaining 118-128 for years mostly stay around 124. I lost 65lbs years ago. Good luck!

@dawn16 I’m all for the truth even if it’s unsexy so thank you. I have not cut calories very low because it feels unsustainable as I’m starving and can’t keep it up for too long. I feel good eating 1500, maybe 1400 a day but anything under that is too low. If my maintenance is 1900 I’m not sure why I’m not breaking this plateau. Everyone says to be patient that it will take time since I’m already at a healthy BMI. I just wanna be lean.

@lt11 Personally I think you should try eating around 1500-1600. I would definitely be gaining at 1800. And as others have said it’s best to not count exercise calories. I’ve been weight lifting for 2 years and lost 30lbs and have maintained my loss at 110lbs for several months now. (Check my profile for pics). I don’t even think about exercise calories let alone track them. If you don’t want to change the exercise you’re doing I definitely think you could clean up your diet (most of us always can). Increase protein, less simple carbs more complex carbs, healthy fats, less processed food/high sodium foods. tweaks like that can help with fat loss along with your deficit. If you want to be “lean” you need to be retaining muscle and shedding fat. To retain/build muscle you need to do some form of progress overload with weights in some way. While at the same time eating high amounts of protein (1 gram per pound of your body weight) and staying in a consistent deficit. Which can only be confirmed by weighing out your food. If you are doing all of these things accurately, and consistently and working out with intensity you’ll become more lean. If that doesn’t work you may want to go to your doctor and see if there are any underlying health issues going on like maybe hormonally or something else.