Can’t press 16kg

@fsuchick Notice 35kb, meaning 35# kb, not 35kg which to my knowledge doesn’t even exist.

I gotta spell it out for my dude here cuz he thinks I’m confusing 35 pounds with 77.16 pounds.

@llewelyn Yeah pretty sure its 32KG which is what I use ATM for snatch. Sorry if my joke didn't play well. But thanks for spelling it out I latterly can't wipe my own ass without you.

@erythro I'd be interested to see what your KB press looked like. Since kettlebells aren't connected like a barbell, you may be letting your arm/elbow float way out away from your body, resulting in your shoulder not really getting engaged in the lift.

Another cue to think about with any vertical pressing movement is "push your head through". With a barbell you should be pushing your head through the bar path once it clears your forehead. Same thing with kettlebells. Put them in a rack and push the weight straight vertically, pushing your head through as the bell travels past the height of your forehead. Keep your the weight over your shoulder, not floating out in Narnia. You may be able to press it just fine.

Also, make sure it's nice and high in the rack position. Another error people make is they catch it too low on their arm, making it difficult to engage the shoulder.

@erythro Standards don't matter. You work with what you have.

Try push pressing or jerking the kb. Getting stronger at one of those exercises will get make your stronger at the others.

@erythro Pressing is always tricky and it's deceptively difficult and unintuitive. Make sure your creating lots of tension when pressing. Activate your core, squeeze your glutes, activate lats and use your breath !
Pressing really is a whole body movement. Keep it up and you'll get there ! I started pressing 16 and now I can press 28kg. Consistents is the key !

@erythro A few folks on here have given you some solid advice, but something I didn’t see at a quick glance:

You’re coming off a rotator cuff injury! Did you see an orthopedist? How about a PT?

If you find that, post injury, you have lost a drastic amount of pressing strength, I would strongly advise you to go see a PT just to ensure that there isn’t something else that you’re missing. For context: a while back, I had an inguinal hernia and needed surgery to repair it. Six weeks after my surgery, I was cleared for exercise again, and I f’ed up my shoulder doing push-ups. Push ups!

Go see a PT. Tell them what your goals are, and let them help you work up to the point where you can chase them without fear of re-injuring yourself.

@erythro I started with no weight, then a soup can, then bands....and rehabed over about two years back to a normal range of motion and increasing weights. Build up the entire cage around that shoulder (and all joints) first...then worry about individual movements. My damaged rotator rehab wasn't needing surgery, it needed rehab. Lots of variations and lots of very low weight + variety + consistency.

Look up "smashworks" on YouTube...he's a great Physical therapist and has gobs of content on every muscle and joint group. I'd also look into Indian clubs. I didn't have that tool until recently and they are really great no matter what level you're at and you can really see results with 1lbs sets. Most never use more than 3lbs.

Good luck...time and effort

Man there has been some awesome advice in the comments in the last 24h. I really appreciate everyone's tips and anecdotes. The take home for me is to start as light as necessary (will try a 12kg), add in some TGUs, definitely re-visit my PT to make sure she agrees with the progression, and keep doing my rotator cuff stability work throughout the week. You guys are all legends 🤙🏻

@erythro I’d recommend overcoming the ego and starting with something lighter. Also, bottoms up kettlebell presses are great for shoulder rehab, stability, and strengthening. The fact that you have to stabilize the kettlebell while pressing will require the under active muscles responsible for the integrity of the movement to kick in. You can even just play around at home with trying to hold/balance the kettlebell upside down(without pressing). You can even do it while watching tv. Turn it into a game

Back