Can I get an honest analysis/critique of my current calisthenics workout?

barlowgirl

The workout is as follows, a Frankenstein of the recommended routine as i’m now 2 years on. Sets and reps is where i’m currently at. There’s always slight modifications day-to-day.

Superset 1:
- 5 x 6-7 12lb vest pull/chin ups + 2-3 banded
- 5 x 10 Bulgarian Sp.Squats w/ 60-80lb load

Superset 2:
- 5 x 10 Dips wearing a 12lb weight vest
- 5 x 20 50lb Kettlebell Swings or RDL’s

Superset 3:
- 5 x 10 Inv Rows Legs Up with 12lb vest
- 5 x 12 regular or diamond push up w/vest

Finishing Circuit (3 times through)
- ~ 10 rep of legs e.g. jump squat or lunges
- ~ 10 rep of shoulder e.g. lateral raise 20lb DB
- ~ 16 reverse hyperextensions
- ~ 15 rep of bicep or triceps
- ~ 10-20 rep of core e.g. wheel rollouts
- ~ 20 rep of back e.g. 20lb dumbbell rows

I do this routine Monday Wednesday Friday and can get it done in 60-70 minutes. Usually burn 400-600 calories according to apple watch.

Looking for advice on how to advance and take it to the next level, especially increasing pull-up reps and incorporating shoulder pressing to work towards handstands.

@barlowgirl Personally, I think you’d benefit from a different split. Either push/pull/legs or upper/lower have allowed me the best balance between volume, rest and subsequently, results. Your training volume imo could probably stand to increase. For instance, you can definitely do 4-5 sets of pull ups and 4-5 sets of chin ups within the same workout alongside your horizontal pulling. I also believe you could be doing more for your chest and shoulders. Incorporating some extra push up variations like decline, pike/handstand variations or even extra sets of the classic push up itself is a great option. Overall though, if you really prefer the full body split I’m not one to tell you it’s wrong, it can still be an effective split and your workout overall is tailored well, this is just advice from my own experience!

OH I neglected to read the bottom of your post! I would also suggest a rest of 2-3 minutes in between pull ups/chin ups. This allows you to perform more reps overall and honestly, the longer you rest between sets for pull ups, the more you’re likely to do in a set. I also superset my pull ups/chin ups with push ups, dips or core work because I hate waiting long between sets but I love being able to do all the reps that I’m after. Hope some of this can be helpful!

@barlowgirl Based on your goals, I would suggest taking out the Banded Pull-Ups. Those will simply take recovery away from the reps you can do with added weight. Focus on the quality and intensity rather than the quantity and the quantity will go up.

For the HS goal, swap the Dips out for Pike Pushup progressions.

@barlowgirl This feels like too much for a full body workout how are your rest times? I think you could do splits like upper/lower or Push/pull/legs and have more energy and rest to do all of them.

If you still want to do full body I'd do two routines. A (your first 3 supersets) and B (the circuit in a superset/alternating set format).

For handstands you could do pike push ups instead of diamond /standard ones or drop dips.

@gffg2019 I usually don’t have a problem with energy 90% of the time. I’ve thought about this myself but again i’m able to pull this workout out in an hour. I rest maybe 2-3 minutes between each movement.

@barlowgirl First thing I would really change is the exercise selection of the circuit. Jumping exercise in a circuit style after that workout seems a bit unnecessarily risky. I'd also do hollow body holds (if needed with weight on your ankles) as they are simpler and safer in terms of execution than the ab wheel roll out.

Also got to agree with the other comment. Banded pull up are a bit of a waste, unless the top part is an actual weak position of yours.
Instead of Kettlebell Swing, maybe hip thrusts on a bench would be more effective.
Also I'd recommend trying to beat your reps on the last set by at two. Maybe that way you'll spare time and 3 sets each superset would be enough.

If you want to step it up, I would say Periodization is the answer. I personally recommend a linear approach with daily undulating intensities and frequent deloads.