Can someone help me name this workout?

@btyler101 Oh, no, that’s a front plate raise. With that grip it’s super effective for improving grip strength, fore arm strength and front shoulder muscles.

@qurban ...or you could just deadlift lol. Also rows and pullups. I really would feel like a dingus waving a plate around like this.

Now I'm really curious what you were talking about then.

@btyler101 Someone else figured it out. I’ll edit my original post. It’s a bilateral external rotation. Apparently even without the resistance bands, the routine and repetition is good for rehabbing torn rotator cuffs and stretching.

Plate raises are a complimentary workout to the big lifts like deadlift and bench press. You do look kinda silly doing it, but it helps develop that boulder shoulder in a more targeted way. That and the focus on grip, like with that over handed grip help improve your grip endurance for other workouts where you’re hanging even more weight, like rack pulls and deadlifts.

@qurban How is it working your grip more than lifting several hundred pounds with your hands though? I'm skeptical of this.

I think rack pulls, paused deadlifts, pullups, and barbell rows will work your grip far more than lifting a dinky weight ever will (holding your last rep of deadlift also helps). Oh yeah, and farmer's carries, if you like those.

I understand targeting your shoulders for hypertrophy but I don't believe stretching or mobility work has been proven to do anything. Anyway, not trying to be a dick or anything, just giving my opinion.

Glad you got your answer!

@btyler101 For front plate raises, again using the example you showed. The user is using an overhand “clamping” grip, as opposed to using the handles on the plate. That’s specifically how that type of workout affects grip. Also, front plate raises usually require more weight than what I was asking about in my original question. It’s not a dinky amount of weight at that point 35 or 45 lbs held straight out without a firm grasp on a handle.

My only suggestion for you, if you are skeptical about a workout is to give it a shot. I mean, the whole point of me asking my original question was to satiate my own skepticism. Working out is subjective, a routine that I like and recognize works for me, Is not the same routine that I would suggest that my wife does, and it wouldn’t be the same as the routine that I’d suggest for you either. But if you’re curious about the effectiveness of a certain workout, there’s no harm in trying it, unless it’s wildly dangerous and beyond your skill level.

You’re partially right, “muscle bound” isn’t actually as true as people used to believe, as in you would limit your normal RoM if you never stretch, but as someone who used to practice jiu jitsu on a regular basis, stretching and mobility routines do great things to minimize the risk of accidental hyperextension and improving comfortable range of motion.

@qurban
the user is using an overhand “clamping” grip

Ahh, ok didn't consider that difference, makes more sense then.

but as someone who used to practice jiu jitsu on a regular basis

Yes, definitely stretching and mobility for sports specific application makes sense.

My concern is that some people do it before they lift because they think it reduces injury risk, but this isn't really backed by evidence.

I stopped wasting time with foam rolling and stretching etc. before lifting and haven't looked back. I do 90% of my warming up under the bar, and haven't had any problems since I switched. I think I get better results actually, because my warmup is super specific to the exercise I am going to do.