Can we talk weight gain?

@pdbcm Try to measure yourself with a measuring tape not just with a scale. Some of it is water but most of it is food. I’d recommend to weigh your food and use an app to gauge caloric intake

@pdbcm Why do you care what your weight on the scale looks like? You want to track your body fat, that’s all that matters.

1 - Google “navy body fat calculator” and track your measurements.

2 - “I haven’t changed my diet much”. That means nothing. Download free app Cronometer and track everything you eat. Trying to lose body fat? Be on a caloric deficit. Eat 1g/pound of goal body weight (at goal body fat) per day. Fill remaining calories with carbs/fats as it best fits you.

@pdbcm This needs to be in the FAQ.

Water retention, increased appetite leading to calorie surplus, or some combination of both. Newbie gains are real but if you’re lucky you might gain 7lbs of muscle in your first year not first month.

@pdbcm 38F. I've been in CrossFit for 2 years, 3 months. I've slowly/steadily gained weight in my 30s, but I've gained ~15lbs since I've been in Crossfit, gone up a size in shirts (damn lats!), and 2-3 sizes in pants (mostly my ass). About a year ago I started replacing most of my wardrobe. I think weight changes have stabilized...god I hope so.

(When I started CrossFit I aimed to lose 10-15 lbs...ha! I've resolved that's...not happening...).

I've made some loose efforts to increase protein intake and reduce alcohol, but overall haven't made major dietary or nutritional changes.

I look at the scale far less, in part because my weight seems to vary much more dramatically. A big weights day will cause swelling and higher weights for 2-3 days. It confuses me.

BUT, I'm far more confident in my body and I look better in the mirror. I think if prior-to-CrossFit me saw a photo of me now...I would absolutely not believe I weigh more.

@pdbcm When you say "about" a month ago.... The time of a women's monthly cycle matters a lot in terms of what the scales show. If you weighed yourself just after your period the first time and weighed yourself just before you came on the second time that could account for a few pounds of that weight.

@pdbcm Keep going, eat real food, sleep. Most of my CrossFit friends eventually stop weighing themselves because they are happy with how they look naked. And how they can continue to work hard and keep up with the grandkids. Stay the course.

@pdbcm I'm similar measurements to you - 5ft tall and weigh around 128. I was probably 118 or so before I started crossfit a little over 2 years ago but I was definitely skinny-fat. I gained the 10lbs over the first year and since then have held pretty steady. My lifts have improved a ton and most of my measurements are smaller so I try not to worry about the scale as I think most of the weight gain has been muscle. Also, if I take more than 5 days off or so my weight will be down 3-4 pounds so some of it is water weight from lifting heavy.

@pdbcm I can understand your sentiment, but one of the hallmarks of CF is the focus on performance vs. aesthetics. Focus on improving performance and you will be much happier! Increased work capacity = increased health!

How many Pullups/Pushups could you do when you started vs. now? How has your 5k run time improved? What about your deadlift? To improve these, your diet+sleep needs to be dialed in.

I'd honestly just let go of the idea of trying to look a certain way.

Back