Can't squat due to mobiliy issues, I'd like to ask some advice!

@koh I was having a similar problem. I would fall down when trying to ascend without any weight. What helped me with a squat was flexing my core when ascending - it really helps to hold balance. I had tried leg presses (horizontal and vertical), but now that I can do squats (last time I did them with a 10 kg barbell), I would suggest doing squats even if you have to hold on to something (like a ladder) to get up, because leg presses are not the same and they didn't help me to get to doing a squat.

Also, try to do it at home barefoot - shoes can be really not squat-compatible and maybe that's the problem.

So, 1) try to do it barefoot and see whether the shoes are the problem
2) flex your core muscles and glutes when ascending
3) try to squat at home instead of sitting sometimes. You can get up however you can, but this should improve flexibility
4) continue doing squats at the gym, but if you cannot ascent, hold on to something until you don't have to anymore
5) if it hurts, maybe see a doctor

Hope it helps, but as you can probably see from the weight I'm using, I am not super experienced. Maybe someone with more exp will come by and answer your question better.

@painhour The shoes aren't the problem, because when I try to squat barefoot, my heels simply lift off the floor (no mobility in my ankles). If I "push down" my heels, I lose balance. I have also noticed I'm lacking core strength, and that could be making things harder. Gotta work on a lot of things 😭 thank you so much for your helpful comment!!!

@koh Squat shoes can help with the lifting heels. I also have shitty ankle flexibility, but getting some squat shoes really helped. They have a raised heel, but it's solid so you can still push down on it. I have some Inov8 fastlist 360s and they are awesome. I only wear them at the gym and my first pair lasted me about 6 yrs, so while they are expensive, I felt I got my money's worth out of them. Occasionally you can catch some on sale on Amazon (I got my last pair on sale, just in a color I didn't love). They give you a solid base to push through the squat, but don't require your ankles to flex as much. It's similar to squatting with plates under your heels, but for me it feels much more solid and comfortable.

@koh Have you tried squatting with your heels elevated on a plate? I also have some ankle mobility issues so that plus looong femurs make squats super uncomfortable for me and I've found that raising my heels helps.

I'm actually following PHUL right now as well and IIRC it doesn't call for Bulgarian split squats (at least the version I'm following doesn't). Perhaps you could sub those in instead of squats, especially since PHUL already calls for leg press? Hack squat might be a good option too.

@guisepine I also have long femurs! I've never thought about doing heel elevated squats instead of normal squats, that seems like the best idea. Bulgarian splits squats are awesome, I've done them before and they murder my legs in a good way. Thank you for your suggestions, I really appreciate them!

@koh Happy to help! It helps my front squats as well. Squats have always been a hard move for me, despite being able to sit in a deep squat without weight super comfortably. But once I add weight it's like my legs forget how to act 😂 Have you started PHUL yet? I'm really enjoying it!

Also your username made me wonder if you spoke Portuguese and looking through your post history confirmed it! Eu falo espanhol mais estou aprendendo o português :)

@guisepine Yes I have just started it, I love it! It's the first time I do an actual routine instead of just arriving at the gym and do whatever machine is free.

Yes I'm Portuguese! Não me lembro por que escolhi este nome, eu não gosto de cenouras! Ahaha. :)