Caroline Girvan fans: do you add in cardio?

lpt

I’ve been doing CG workouts for about 2 months now and have seen some great progress already (clothes fit better, face looks slimmer) however I’m still struggling to lose the last 10lbs (for reference I’m 4’10 and 120lbs, goal is 110). I already eat in a calorie deficit, have upped my protein significantly and I do IF/16:8. This helped me lose 7lbs from the beginning of January, but I’ve been stuck at 120lbs for weeks now. Wondering if I need to add more cardio into my routine? This is what I do now:

M, T, Th, F, Sat - Caroline Girvan (currently on week 2 of Fuel)

W, Sun - Reformer Pilates

I’m starting swim classes this Saturday for 7 weeks so that will be added to my routine as well. If you do CG workouts, do you add in some type of cardio? I know Fuel has more cardio than her other programs but I feel like it’s just not enough.

@lpt With strength training the numbers on the scale will change significantly slower, I would switch to measuring. It can be very helpful to let go of your scale goal if you’re looking and feeling good.

I was doing strength training for 4 months and looked amazing but I couldn’t get below 120 (goal was 115). The silly thing was, I looked better at 120 than I had looked when I was previously 115. I had so many compliments and a better hour glass than before, but I stopped weight training because I couldn’t reach a number. Lesson learned.

@cph This is such a good reminder. Thank you for this, I’ve always had body issues and a disordered eating mindset so it’s really hard not to stay hyper-focused on that stupid scale. This is the first time in my life I’ve been consistent with working out and I really like the changes I’m seeing in my body, but that number on the scale is still always on the back of my mind.

@lpt You should honestly get rid of the scale. Track your measurements and pictures. If you feel good, why give a scale # so much power? I say this as a someone who knows entirely what that feels like.

@lpt It’s a difficult thing to let go of. I find I do best when I track my workout consistency now vs. body metrics. Good luck!

@lpt I pick one of her HIIT/cardio videos for Sundays, and I do her dumbbell strength workouts on other days of the week along with a 30-40 min treadmill walk or run on most days.

@lpt I do, I run 3-6 miles most days, walk every day for at least 3mi, do Caroline Girvan 3-4x weekly, and do a weekly power yoga class. I am at 125lbs and similar height. The last 10lbs may be difficult if you are already fairly fit.

@lpt Genuine question: how are you able to keep up with so many activities on a deficit? I can't workout for more than 3 consecutive days without needing a rest day.

@garretfut I honestly consider my Pilates days as active rest days. I don’t have a true complete rest day because if I’m not doing some sort of movement I get very discouraged/unmotivated after. I do feel really tired sometimes so I’ve been rethinking my routine, maybe do strength training 4x a week instead of 5, and use one day to just stretch and walk around the neighborhood.

@lpt That sounds like a great idea. I'd say still consider walking a high number of steps to be active rest only. It is very good for overall health and wellbeing.

@lpt Our workouts are quite similar! I add in cardio in addition to my 4 days of Caroline Girvan.

My current weekly workout:

Mon (Iron - Legs), Tue (Iron - Upper Body), Fri (Calisthenics - Bodyweight Complexes), Sat (Beginner Epic Ab & Core)

Wed, Sun - Pilates

Cardio: Walk around 10,000 steps a day and run 5K or hike 10K every week for around 6 months and counting.

Eating at maintenance around 1500 cal to 1700 cal a day, 5'0 and around 105-108 lbs.

@lpt My scale has not moved for months. I'm attributing it to muscle gains. So it might be a good idea to adjust your scale expectations. Expect it to take longer, or you might gain weight due to muscle gains.

Don't overdo it. Your body needs rest. your clothes are fitting better, the scale isn't the determination of your health of the toning of your body.

If you're serious about getting stronger, you should eventually focus on GAINING muscles. Which means more food for fuel etc.

Right now you can treat it as a cut/recomp, until you're satisfied with your fat loss journey. But at some point your strength will suffer. You can't lift as much or any heavier. That's when you need to up your food intake.

@hopingandhoping I take classes at a local studio, reformers are way out of my budget atm, I don’t see myself buying one until I get really good at pilates. I’m still in beginner reform classes so I have a long way to go.

Back