Confusion about TLS

benhtri

Hello, I read the book but am having difficulty understanding how to follow this program. I used to follow the strong curves gorgeous glutes program by Bret Contreras & felt like things were more explicit & easier to follow. But I started TLS bc I wanted a more balanced workout routine & not just glute focused.

Here are my questions:

Number of reps/sets: on pg 216 it says for total workout sets to start with 9 total sets per workouts including 3 4-6 rep sets followed by 6 8-10 rep sets.. so that’s 9 sets per exercise? But then it says 3 sets per exercise in Chapter 18 (the workout routine chapter)?
So I’m confused about the number of reps and sets.

Spreadsheets:
Following the lift vault spreadsheet, i found it difficult to understand & I feel like some of the data conflicts with what it said in the book. I also see 10-12 reps listed for some exercises which is different from the 8-10 reps suggested in the book. Also there are columns for sets 1, 2, and 3. Set 1 is 50%, 2 is 50%, then set 3 is 70%, then set 4 is grayed out & says “W/U only” (unsure what that means) at 90%..

but then what was that detail about doing 9 sets? Do you follow those percentages day after day for all 8 weeks until the deload week, or does it change weekly? I just feel like those percentages are low to be doing week after week…

Also I noticed there is only a 3 or 4 day spreadsheet— is the 5 day spreadsheet unavailable?

I just really want to make sure I’m doing this right. I’ve tried rereading sections of the book over and over again and still don’t get it.

@benhtri Do you have an older version of the book? I got the eBook in April this year and Chapter 18 is "The Truth About PreWorkout and PostWorkout Nutrition" and on pg. 216 is something different too.

AFAIK the book has undergone a few revisions and the available pdfs online are from older versions. I would stick to the routine in your book in the workout routine chapter.

Edit: just copied this from one of my own posts, this is the 4 day routine in my book version:

Sunday (legs/glutes):

BB squat, leg press, RDL, Hip Thrust

Monday (push/core):

BB bench press, DB shoulder press, DB lateral raise, DB seated triceps press, crunches

Wednesday (pull):

BB deadlift, DB one-arm row, lat pulldown, DB biceps curls

Thursday (legs/glutes):

BB squat, DB lunges, Seated leg curl, Glute kick-back

always 3 sets of 8, as soon as 10 reps are possible for one set, increase the weight and go back to 3x8

Back