Continue the cut or switch thing up

michaelsikora

Hey guys and gals

Been training for about 10 months, but started taking the dieting part serious only 10 weeks ago.
My goal was (and still kinda is) to dropped extra fat I had, and gain muscle.

I’m 23 yo, 178cm. 10 weeks ago I was at 80kg/20% bf, now around 71 kg/11% bf (calculated bf using a tape measurement, so I could be off a little).

I feel stuck at 71kg for a few weeks now, and also have felt a little drop in strength while hitting the weights.

Wanted to get to around 9%bf, and then do a “clean bulk” from there, but started thinking maybe I should dropped the hard cut, and focus more on the clean bulk phase.

I still have a little fat left (mainly at the belly area), so that’s the only thing that discourage me.
Added before and after pics too.

What do y’all think? Should I trust the process and wait it out? Or should I switch it up?

A bit on my training:
Usually hit the gym 3 times a week doing full body. Might increase it to 6 times doing ppl as I have more free time now.
Can’t really do an extreme bulk and cut as I have a big trip coming up in 2 months, and I wanna look somewhat lean.. haha

Anyways, thanks all!!

@michaelsikora First off you are certianly not 11%. More like 15-20. You could try eating at maitainence for a week or two. Then continue cut for another 5-10 kilos or so? If that sounds hard a slow ramp up of calories to go into a mass phase is also fine. Recomp is even an option at body comp/training experience so lots of options.

@seitsem%C3%A4n Haha I said the tape measurement calculation might be a little off
The cutting part isn’t that bad, the problem is that I fell stuck on my weight for a few weeks, even though I am on a calorie deficit.

@michaelsikora Then i'd go with option one if I were you. 9 kilos is quite a bit to cut with no break. Take a diet break for a week. Get back into it. You may need to drop calories lower or increase output to continue to see the scale drop.

@michaelsikora I second the advice here. I'm not a fan of recomping, personally, but a maintenance period, eating much more freely, then cutting again is sound advice. When you cut again, don't cut too quick. Loss of strength in the gym may be an indicator of muscle loss, but these last few pound stay be a pain to lose so go slow but steady, and add in cardio when you need more a deficit - your body will fight the process and adapt so you may have to drop calories or add more energy expenditure every few weeks.

Back