Copyright/legal Q

klara123

Are mainsite wods copyrighted or legally protected in any way? I paid a guy online $50 to put all workouts ever listed on the mainsite in a word document. I'd share it with everyone here but don't want to do it if I'll get an backlash.

@jacquiluvsjesus True. I could see something happening to Murph too. Just don’t call them by the names, just describe the workout.
There was big drama 5 plus years ago over a fundraiser that attempted to steal FGB. They were running a fundraiser, but were really lining their pockets. Glassman went after them aggressively. This was the good version of CrossFits legal action.
The old model was if you were looking to spread ideas and methodology, CrossFit was all for it. BTWB and WODwell do similar functions

@klara123 Likely the guy likely scraped it in Python or something (Python is the go to for this).

Ask him to add one line of code in order to have the link the WOD was pulled from to CYA so you site your info.

Alternatively at the top of the document state clearly "All workouts were taken from crossfit.com and can be found via the link crossfit.com/ example: https://www.crossfit.com/200629. This document is meant only as a reference document to refer the user back to crossfit.com. This information was pulled from crossfit.com on 6/28/2020, is publicly available, and is only current as of that date. " That way it at least CYA for copyright/plagiarism.

@klara123 The only thing you might need to worry about is using terms like “CrossFit” and “WOD” to redistribute. Those are trademarked terms and even then are arguably not enforceable in this situation.

@tartamudo Yeah in order to be eligible for copyright a work must be considered as having "originality"

As much as we all love doing Grace, lets be honest that "30 clean and jerks for time" doesnt exactly meet a high bar for originality.

Back