Critique my workout routine (made by me)

stevethewaldner

So that’s my routine as a 26F 5"2/1.58m and 155lbs/70kg, in a ~250kcal/day deficit. I want to preserve/gain a tiny bit of muscle, but don’t get my hopes too high because I am losing weight.

I don’t do any cardio, I walk or bike to my job and walk a lot at my job. I go to the gym straight out work and feel tired during the workout.
Any insight would be cool !

⭐️ Back day :
- Dumbbell row 14kg 4x8 2min rest
- Pendlay row 20kg 4x10 2min rest
- Lat pulldown 25kg 4x12 2min rest
- Straight arm lay pull-down cable 9kg 4x12 1min 30sec rest
- Seated Good Morning 25kg 3x8 2min rest

⭐️ Legs day 1
- Barbell hip trust 80kg 4x10 3min rest
- Barbell RDL 45kg 3x10 3min rest
- Barbell Squat 35kg 3x8 2min rest
- Abduction machine 56kg 3x15 2min rest
- Hyperextension glute bias 14kg 3x14 2min rest

⭐️ Shoulder and chest day :
- Supine press 18kg 3x12 2min rest
- Shoulder press 8kg each arm 3x8 2min rest
- Shoulder row 4kg each arm 4x10 1min 30sec rest
- Biceps curl 6kg each arm 3x12 2min rest
- Triceps cable 7kg 3x12 2min rest

⭐️ Leg day 2 :
- Hip trust B stance 16kg 4x24 2min rest
- Glute bridge 22kg 4x12 2min rest
- B stance RDL 18kg 4x8 each leg 2min rest
- Squat wide stance 22kg 3x10 2min rest
- Seated Good Morning 25kg 4x8 2min rest

@stevethewaldner If you want optimal progress, I would recommend following one of the programs from the page that I linked. But if you’re enjoying your current program, and you are applying progressive overload (which you didn’t mention in your post at all), then I think it’s fine to stick with your current program until you start plateauing.

@stevethewaldner Are these sets and reps taking you near failure? Sounds like your goals are physique oriented? Without knowing your specific goals, it’s hard to give valuable feedback.

I’d drop the seated good mornings from pull day with how much hinge work you’re doing on your leg days it seems unnecessary, then move biceps curl to pull day.

If taking sets near failure, make sure to order the exercises in a way that avoids any support muscles limit you. For example, leg day I’d put squats first because you’ve got a lot of work that’s going to tire out your low back.

Finally, any redundant exercise I’d consider dropping too. Hip thrust, glute bridge, and RDL all work glutes in a similar way. Do you really need all 3, or could you do 1 with sufficient intensity and save yourself the time and energy? Then you could do more unique glute exercises like this one

@cornesmit Yes I am taking my reps near failure, but my cycle make me reduce my weight or reps slightly.

It’s not fonctionnal that’s all I know ! I am not that knowledgeable. But yeah if aesthetic is one of my goal then yes.

I do enjoy doing those 3 exercises tho but I don’t know if it’s optimal for glutes development…

Thanks for the tips !

@stevethewaldner Why would you not do cardio if you’re losing weight? You seem to be more concerned about looks than strength so cardio will be essential, 150 minutes a week at zone 2 should suffice

@dawn16 I do not work in an office job, I am working in a restaurant. I am quite tired from walking, lifting heavy box from that job, that’s why. Also I walk 35min to my job or 10-15min by bike… so why adding cardio on top of that ?

Back