Daily microroutine (only dumbells (and TRX)): Does it makes sense for strength training

rylez98

Hi.I have to minimize my weekly strength training.

I am a huge fan of the recommended routines and i increased strength and muscles with a lot of barbell-routines like Greyskull, 531, nsuns and so on.

I even bought a barbell and rack when the gyms were closed, but now it is time for me to change my routine.

There are a few reasons that i want to minimize my routine. I am old, there are rarely gains and it is more about maintaining the muscles and strength.I play a lot of tennis, but i do not want to give up strength training at all (like i did that summer).

So i was thinking how to integrate a possibly effective microroutine in my week and because i did not find a fitting recommend routine in the wiki I created this micro-workout-week:

Always Warmup: 10min Skippingrope

MON and FRI: CHEST

Dumbbell Bench Press 8/8/8

Dumbbell Fly 8/8

Incline Dumbbell Press 8/8/8

TUE and SAT: BACK

TRX Row 10/10/10

Dumbbell Row 8/8/8

Chinups 8/8/8

WED and SUN: SHOULDER

Dumbbell Shoulder Press 8/8/8

Side Lateral Raise 15/15

Pull Ups 8/8/8

THU: Leg Day... (My lower body is stronger/bulkier than my upper body)

These were my reqirements:
  1. I have to give up my home gym with barbell and rack, so i only have dumbells, a bench, a pullup-bar and TRX.
  2. The routine should not take more than 1h including warmup and shower.
  3. It is all about strength training and maintaining
  4. A lot of pullups, chinups and skipping the rope, because i want to improve/learn this (a s a side effect)
What do you think?

@sanj79 Wow! This is pretty close to what i wanted to do!

Ha ha, could have invented something when i would not be that late...

;)

Thank you, this gives me more confidence in my routine and i will adapt it a little bit.

@rylez98 Bro, I’m all about using practical and effective training because I do my workouts at home in my garage without a lot of space. I do have Rogue folding rack, but I use a weighted vest, a TRX and resistance bands. I glad I could help.

@sanj79 Good for you if you can use resistance bands. For the life of me I can't not get a meaningful workout with those things. I have a pile of them because so many exercises seem to utilize them but the arc of resistance doesn't seem useful to me. Too easy early on, too hard before I've reached a full extension, or the other way around. I've moved completely to free weight (dumbbells, barbells) and it just feels more "real" and practical. As I've gotten older I've just slowed my lifts down and increased my rep count. Instead of explosive movements with 8 rep sets, I lift "under control" for about 15 rep sets. It's a little friendlier to my joints and I feel like I get a better connection to the muscle I'm trying to work. However, I think whatever works for you, whatever keeps you coming back, that is what you should do. Everybody seems to have their own thing.