Dan John's issue with dual snatches???

@barronkanetaylor He's specialty is track&field, specifically throwers (discus, hammer, etc). As well as have been competitive in discus himself.

I also get the impression that he's recommendations for his athletes may differ from the ones he gives to the general population.

@barronkanetaylor He talks quite a bit about asymmetrical lower body lifts on occasion, building cross strength and all that. He also talks a lot about what he calls "anaconda strength," holding the torse rigid to absorb impact and build throwing/hitting power.

If you listen to him often enough, you'll notice him talk about a lot of different kinds of training regarding different applications, and you'll start to see how he put together his methodologies.

He talks a lot, and has a wealth of information in his head from a lifetime of coaching everything from pro athletes to noobs. Not saying he's always right, but he has more experience than most of us here put together.

@sharita3737 Which elite collegiate athletes is Dan John coaching? You mention risk-reward. But he's the only strength coach since like the 80's who recommends athletes do strict overhead presses. That shocked me. I can't name a single full time sports performance S&C coach who let's his athletes strict press overhead.

@cristina49 Good question. Push presses are pretty scarce too. The coaches dont want athletes muscling through any shoulder impingements, and they dont find the movement pattern translates any on-field movements. For instance, American football players push the opponent in front of them like a bench press, not push them overhead like a push press.

But jerks show up more since that's a vertical power movement, and there's very little impingement risk. Power snatches from the hang are the most common barbell overhead movement by a lot. Univ of Florida football strength staff even let's some players do split snatches which is pretty cool, that's an old school movement you don't see much of anymore.

But there's plenty of sports performance coaches, maybe even the majority, who say Olympic lifts have no place in sports performance at all b/c they dont have enough time to teach them properly, so they program simpler movements that mimic a similar amount of upward power force development like trap bar plyo deadlifts.

@cristina49 Another good question, I know whwre youre going with that. Less chance of cuff impingement. But I doubt those are programmed anywhere. Now would some athletes get the greenlight to do movements the rest of the team isn't allowed to do b/c maybe (s)he was a competitive lifter in high school or something like that? Yes that definitely happens.

@jwilson757 The video above is from a seminar by Vesteinn Hafsteinsson. He's a throwing coach who have coached two different athletes to becoming Olympic champions. The athlete demonstrating is current world and olympic discus champion Daniel Ståhl. Vesteinn seems to have no issue with programming heavy push presses.
You can see his plan for Ståhl in this clip:

Back