Deadlift form check

otherfish

Hi all šŸ‘‹

Just getting used to deadlifts and looking for some advice. First time I tried it nearly completely felt it in my lower back, but after trawling through posts here and reading the ā€œpretend youā€™re closing a door with your buttā€ advice, Iā€™m now completely feeling it in my hamstrings and glutes!

I know in the vid Iā€™m looking down way too much through the whole thing and my toes are doing a little dance at the beginning so will be working on that. Any other advice you all can give would be appreciated!

Thanks šŸ˜Š
Link to vid:
Edit: As other commenters pointed out I shouldā€™ve titled this RDL not Deadlift, sorry!

@otherfish Not bad!

Focus on ā€œpacking your latsā€ (think about tucking your lats down into your back pocket, or squeezing oranges between your armpits).

I also think you may have overcorrected a bit - you have a lot of knee bend, and itā€™s getting in the way of your bar path (see how the bar kind of slides around your knees on some reps, rather than going straight up and down?). In RDLs your knees should be soft and your hips hinging should drive the movement.

@jbrac My question exactly. They say deadlift but based on the video and their post Iā€™m thinking they meant an RDL because they also mentioned ā€œclosing a door with your buttā€.

@otherfish Pretty good! As you mentioned, try to hold your neck in line with your spine, right now its leaning forward and there is a potential to hurt your neck in that position. I think making sure that your back is tight and squeezed back will help you feel it in your back more.

@otherfish Re: the head drooping, try to keep your neck in line with the rest of your spine. You can think about trying to give yourself a bit of a double chin. You want everything to stay kind of locked down from the neck through the torso, which should make it easier to put a bit more snap into your lockout as well. (Generally you get better results by putting some more force behind the concentric part of the lift.)

Back