DFW pressing progress, for those interested in running DFW

lfedora

Info: M 6' mid-40's c.190lbs. Hadn't been working out until about 4 - 5 months ago.

I've run Geoff Neupert's DFW (Dry Fighting Weight) twice. I mostly did the Remix version the first time through, and either skipped the Remix days, or did an 'Easy Strength' version the second time through.

Here's my press history for the last few months:

I ran Simple and Sinister for about 4 1/2 weeks with the 16kg. This was basically November. By the end I had worked in 4 sets out of the 10 with the 20kg. I did Turkish Get Downs, so I cleaned the weight and performed a press to start. I never tested my RM military press with the 16kg or 20kg. Here are the press numbers during this time:

11/10 - 24kg single: fail (also tried about a week earlier but didn't notate it)

11/30 - 18kg single: 8RM

12/02 - 19kg double: 3RM

12/05 - 18kg double: 5RM (then started DFW #1)

Then I ran DFW Remix with double 18kg (I have adjustable kettlebells). This started second week of December. This one is complicated because I got sick. I didn't finish and couldn't do anything for a week and a half. Then I was still kind of sick and limited for another couple of weeks. I got to week 4 day 2 of DFW before I got sick, so I almost completed it. The sickness counted as a de-load week. Then I did 3x3 with the weights when I felt that I could. Over the course of roughly 4 weeks I did 9 'workout' days, consisting of 'Easy Strength' with the double bells, and 2 test days, until I was recovered. Here are the press numbers during this time:

12/17 - 24kg single: 1RM (I had tried and failed every week since before 11/10)

12/28 24kg single: 1RM

01/01 - start of being sick

01/10 - 18kg double: 8RM (first test after DFW #1)

01/17 - 18kg double: 9RM

01/24 - 24kg single: 2RM

01/27 - 18kg double: 10RM, 21kg double: 5RM (then started DFW #2)

Then I ran DFW a second time with double 21kg (very weak on the 'Remix' part). This was started the last week of January, with week 5 spilling over into March. Here are the press numbers during this time:

02/10 - 24kg single: 4RM

02/19 - 24kg single: 5RM

02/26 - 24kg single: 7RM

03/02 - 21kg double: 10RM, 24kg double: 5RM (Planning on running the Giant 3.0)

Summary of DFW double bell progress:

DFW #1 start: 18kg 5RM, end: 18kg 10RM + 21kg 5RM

DFW #2 start: 21kg 5RM, end: 21kg 10RM + 24kg 5RM

Hypertrophy: I’ve noticed some muscle growth in my shoulders, arms, and legs. it is certainly there but not extravagant, but nobody else has noticed yet. I’m hoping the Giant 1.0 - 1.2 will accomplish this better for me.

@lfedora This is great progress! You turned a 5rm into a 10 within 1 month twice in a row.

As far as muscle goes, I didn't see a noticeable difference until I started using the 24's as a working weight.

@belovedsone Thank you.

I have heard others say similar things about the 24kg and hypertrophy, so the 24kg has been my goal with which to start the Giant.

I thought I would have to run DFW three times to reach 24kg. I didn't think I would match my strength progress the second time through, so I was very pleased.

@lfedora Interesting and great progress! Using 24s as my working weight for DFW is also my goal (2RM for now). So I'm currently using 16s which feel a bit light but I get more reps and a cleaner form. I wish my gym had 20s or 18s that'd be ideal. I'm currently trying to incorporate 24s on the 1 rep/set days as advised by someone on this sub

@lfedora Dry fighting weight is a great program, I went from barely moving a single 24 kg for 3 reps to running it with 20 and 24 kg and being able to press 32kg in the course of 1 year with 2 major recoveries from surgeries and 5 months breaks.

Back