Do I need to switch my routine up?

@teacup64 You need to look at your diet. Weigh everything you eat, calculate the calories using a database like the one on My Fitness Pal, write it down. Go to a calculator and figure out how many calories you can consume if you want to lose weight. Exercise is great for you, but diet is more important for weight loss.

@teacup64 Measuring your portions with a scale may help, we all tend to eat more than we are thinking, reduce dairy, count calories using a tracker (I love Cronometer). Most likely it's age that has slowed your metabolism down. You can also look in to intermittent fasting. I'm female but I did try it and it just didn't work for me (as in I was miserable and hated it), but my husband loves it and it's how he started dropping weight. Good luck! Impressive workout stats!

@teacup64 Weight loss is 80% in the kitchen unfortunately. Start eating low calorie dense foods, no sugar. Sport is only a fraction of the calories you lose. A coffee with milk and sugar is about the same calories that you have lost during a 5k run. But do not get me wrong, lifting and cardio is excellent for longevity of life...

@anthony1013 What exercise does do, especially after 50, is raise your daily calorie requirement to something a normal human can sustain over time.

At 6’, 230 pounds, my zero-exercise metabolic requirement is about 1800 calories a day. Without adding exercise, I have to sustain a food intake of 1500 calories or so to lose any amount of weight at all.

At my size, that’s simply unrealistic.

@bfg33 Indeed you are right. And with age we need to keep our muscle mass as this is one of the main calorie burners. But it is hard. Especially when you are trying to lose weight and restrict your calories. I am under 10% body fat and I like to be shredded. But I have episodes that I feel lethargic, no energy. Sports become a drag. Mentally it is hard.

@teacup64 Tennis elbow could be an indication that you have a weak grip. It can take months to get over, but it doesn't mean that you should stop weight training. There are ways to rehab and work around it. Plenty of YouTube videos on this. For rehab, I highly recommend a Theraband FlexBar and a compression sleeve.

Personally, I would ditch the bike and focus more on strength training. You'll still get a good cardio workout through weight training if you're pushing yourself and following a good program. If you want to add cardio, I would focus on something like jumping rope or some sort of HIIT, to save time.

@shawn158 Peloton has a ton of HIIT workouts. I do focus on those. Idk on the not training when the tendinitis is flaring up, it hurts to grab a cup of coffee.

@shawn158 Hi, I’m Vetted AI Bot! I researched the TheraBand FlexBar Tennis Elbow Therapy Bar you mentioned in your comment along with its brand, Theraband, and I thought you might find the following analysis helpful.

Users liked:
* Effective for tennis and golf elbow pain relief (backed by 7 comments)
* Helps with physical therapy and exercise (backed by 2 comments)
* Improves grip strength and aids in recovery (backed by 4 comments)

Users disliked:
* Not effective for tennis elbow (backed by 3 comments)
* Inadequate instructions (backed by 1 comment)
* Green band too weak for adults (backed by 1 comment)

According to Reddit, Theraband is considered a reputable brand.

Its most popular types of products are:
* Resistance Bands (#2 of 9 brands on Reddit)
* Foot Rollers (#1 of 1 brands on Reddit)

This message was generated by a (very smart) bot. If you found it helpful, let us know with an upvote and a “good bot!” reply and please feel free to provide feedback on how it can be improved.

Back