Do you think trap bar deadlifts are an acceptable hybrid between barbell dead lifts and squats?

@squidomerer Yes, I do.

I believe that anyone who's not interested in powerlifting would be better off doing trap bar "dead-squats" than back squats and conventional deadlifts separately. They're much better for general health, fitness and looks.

At 54, I don't bother waiting for a free rack and moving plates to load and unload a barbell. I don't want to load my spine either. And conventional deadlifts are too high-risk. no thanks.

My workouts consist in one pressing movement (either horizontal or vertical) + one pulling movement (either horizontal or vertical) and trap bar dead-squats. I alternate the planes of motion on each workout, I work with high intensity to muscle failure and I've never been in better shape than now.

Final words: If you step onto an elevated surface (a plate or two) while using the low handles, you'd be forced to make the movement squattier because you'll have to bend your knees to reach the handles. But you would still be working your hinge. Best of both worlds. You can make them as squattier or as deadlifty as you want. I alternate both variants on different days.

@squidomerer I don't see why you can't incorporate them into your program. I have a trap bar and even in bootcamp/circuit training classes both have been incorporated. I use them for squats and deadlifts, especially when I was coming off an injury last year. Felt more confident in my form.

@squidomerer I ran into this dilemma as well and this is the fruits of my research:

Trap-bar deadlifts are nearly identical mechanically to a deadlift when executed correctly. Lifting the load with a more neutral spine position significantly decreases stress on the lower back. This logic is why many professional sports teams use the trap bar.

The trade-off is less hamstring activation. Personally I supplement trap bar deadlifts with Glute ham raises and Romanian deadlift.

As far as squats, the best trade off I’ve found are belt squats. This allows you to perform the same movement without loading your spine. Finding a gym with a belt squat machine is ideal as your ability to load enough weight for lower rep ranges is limited without one.

@squidomerer Do whatever you feel is right to get strong. I use the trap bar and I like it. Lots of elite athletes use trap bar for strength. It's not thebonky thing they use, but a small part.

If you like doing I, keep doing it. It will still make you strong.

@squidomerer I too am tall, 6'2". Leaning to low bar squat was absolutely revolutionary to my squat, both in terms of safety and strength. I too love a trap bar deadlift but don't really classify that as a squat.

Back