Does anyone take L-Glutamine powder?

brandonjack47

Hello! I was doing some research about relieving some digestion issues I was having and I came across L-Glutamine. My diet is balanced and I take a probiotic (now) it's impoved a bit. While researching L-Glutamine I found out it's used in the fitness community. So, I figured why not kill two birds with one stone. I'm wondering if anyone else takes it and most importantly how you take it. I've been taking tablets but the dosage is so low and you have to take so many so I got the powder.

Suggestions for how and time of day are welcome!

@brandonjack47 I take it, both for my muscles and for my digestion. I can't remember where I read it, but if you just mix the powder in water or take the tablets, it doesn't get far enough into your gut. I mash a half a banana and put it into there, and take it after my probiotics and before any other food in the morning.

If you're having digestion issues, look up the symptoms of low stomach acid. You might also add Thorne Betaine with HCL before protein-heavy meals.

@comeholyghost I sort of took your suggestion. I started taking it in the morning after my probiotic all on an empty stomach. I don't mash it up with a banana I just drink it in water but it's working really well so far. So, thank you!

@brandonjack47 With Glutamine it's all about the dosage in terms of what benefits you'll reap. 2-3 g post workout will help build protein, repair muscle and induce levels of growth hormone in the body. High levels of glutamine can be used in hospital settings to treat colitis, crohns and diarrhea. There are seemingly no adverse side effects, so I'd just play with the higher levels of dosage, conservatively, and see how you feel and if improves your digestion issues. For me, Glutamine didn't contribute to easing my digestive issues, but I noticed a big difference with my constipation and stomach problems when I started taking Chlorella and Spirulina. I also try to drink 3-4 Kevita kombucha drinks. That seems to really help!

edited to say: 3-4 kombucha drinks a week, not a day! Oy!

@bel777 Right now I take a probiotic before dinner, drink chamomile regularly, stay hydrated and I'm going to up my dosage of Glutamine come tomorrow. I'll see how that helps my digestion. I could try kombucha. I hadn't thought of that.