Double press (or single too for that matter), and the 'J shape'

brownie

Mark Wildman and Dan John talk about the J shape that the KB's travel as they are pressed overhead from the rack position. Am I understanding this right: the KB's travel out slightly wider during the first part of the press?

Is there a good video online that breaks this further?

@brownie The press with double bells in the rack should generally go straight up in a line with an associated slight lean back so the bell stays over your center of mass.

The j comes from more traditional forms of pressing IE barbell & dumbbell & I don't really get why it's taught with the bells. It's a variation I guess but you can literally make the pressing line straight up from a proper rack.

@brownie The kettlebells should move in as straight a line as possible, but what DJ and MW describe is the movement of the arms during the press. Most people start their press with their hands inside or just in line with their shoulders. As the bells rise the arms naturally move outward to get into a stronger position. The KB does move out to some extent, especially if you have the handles close together/touching, but the arms should make a more pronounced “j” shape and the line of the KB should be as close to straight as you can manage.

I don’t know if the experts would agree but I do not think you should consciously try to make a J while pressing. It’s more about learning not to fight against the natural outward motion of your arms and/or trying to keep them in a straight line, which can be taxing and limits the power output of the movement.

Back