Dumbbell or other exercises to strengthen wrists? F 35

jambalaya16

I (F 35) have recently taken up boxing in between workouts as cardio. I seem to get some pain sometimes around my wrists. Not always because I wear gloves. I know for a fact my wrists aren't particularly strong. I can't even rest on my left one.

Any exercises that you might have done to strenghthen wrists that have worked? Asking here because I need something that has been proven to work.

@jambalaya16 You need hand wraps. Buy the long ones and watch a YouTube video on how to wrap hands. These protect your wrists. They may be a bit of a pain in the arse but it’s the answer to your problem.

@kylels You can do push-ups on your knuckles on carpet/mats if able as well but wrapped hands and awareness when hitting the bag will be your best bet. Competitive boxers have methods of making wrists strong (look at Artur Beterbiev training on youtube and his crazy wrist strengthening exercises) but they punch super hard and hit people which is less forgiving than a bag. Good luck

@jambalaya16 The hand wraps complement the gloves, it shouldn’t be one or the other.

Gloves - protect knuckles/fist and lessen the impact down the whole arm from hitting.

Wraps - protect your wrists and help keep them stable to absorb impact, while also helping your hands stay strong.

Think of your fist as the seat, and the wrist the stool legs that keep it upright and stable.

@jambalaya16 I also recommend taking a lesson or two from an actual boxing instructor. Some of the pain might be due to bad form. It's easy to hurt yourself if you aren't using proper technique, wraps, and properly sized gloves.

@hugoeisenhour So the trainers there tell me to keep fist aligned straight with wrist. It has mitigated a lot of the initial pain. But I genuinely feel I have weal wrists. Like I feel the force coming from my biceps and little to none from wrists. I meam there should be some wrist and knuckle involvement right?

@jambalaya16 Definitely, but if you aren't hitting the bag with the proper part of your hand at the correct angle, you can hurt yourself. At least you're working with a trainer, so that is the most important step. A lot of people just starting whaling on a heavy bag on their own without any formal training, and that's when injuries can happen.

Back