Exercises to improve impaired circulation to extremities

keath

Hello Everyone,

I am an addict in the process of recovery. I fear that as a direct result of my use (I.V for a period of time), I have irreparably damaged my vascular system - specifically in my forearms and hands. I am only 27, and so this both greatly distresses me and depresses me.

I used to train at the gym 4-5 days a week, and still workout regularly, but am going to ramp back up to try and optimize my health. That being said, I see bodybuilders with absolutely massive veins in their arms, and so I am left wondering if weight training could expand my remaining vascular capacity, therefore improving my circulation, and potentially mitigating any associated issues (for instance possible neuropathy)?

Does anyone have experience with this? Does anyone have any exercises that they would recommend? I would really appreciate the input, as this issue has left me in a pretty dark place. I should also note that I run (well, elliptical) about 3 times a week for ~4km each time, and my heart seems to be in good condition; I am able to sprint for 0.5km, then jog 0.5, and repeat until I finish without being winded.

I sincerely thank anyone who takes the time to reply in advance.

@keath Don’t worry, they are not irreparably damaged, veins heal from IV usage :)
But yes, working out will help with circulation and overall health, as well as helping you to get through at least the first few months of clean time. You got this dude!