Extremely basic question, but I'm beyond new

innova2019

Okay, so, my mom died recently. Age 61, heart failure. It was a huge shock and also a wakeup call. I do not also want to be dying of heart failure at age 61. Thus: I'm going to get in shape no matter the fuck what. By the time I get to her grave on her first yahrzeit, I want to know that if she could reach out and hug me she'd go "oh! You feel so different!" and I'd be able to say "yeah, it's the muscle."

So I started doing a modified version of the step class I took in college. I have a staircase in my home and I've just been going up and down three stairs at a time to a song with a relatively high BPM. Things are bad enough right now that after one playthrough (three minutes, forty seconds), my chest hurts and my heart rate is blipping along at 124. Which would be great if I were doing a full workout and it was taking me a bit to get there, but, um. Yeah.

I don't want to try to ramp up just yet because I get the feeling I should wait to do that until I don't feel like I'm dying after a single playthrough, but in the meantime, for maximum benefit, should I be doing this every day? Every other? I know we were told this in that college class, but fucked if I can remember, and things I'm finding online are like "do X for Y minutes for Z reps!" and it's like . . . buddy, right now one rep is tearing me up. I'm working on two reps, buddy. Give me some information on how to get there, please.

@innova2019 For most people 124 would be a zone 1 heart rate, basically not working hard at all, so don’t let that hold you back. You should be seeing heart rates in the 150 to 170+ range when doing hard cardio depending on your age.

Long walks and hikes are a great entry point. Cycling is also good if available to you.

@american_in_uk It sure doesn’t feel like I’m not working hard. More like any second I’m gonna keel over from a heart attack.

As for long walks....I’m trying to stay indoors because I live in Phoenix. It’s intolerable in summer and in winter it’s not the safest place. (I have to work out when I get home from work. At 2am.) Hence the stairs. Trust me, I’d rather be doing something more fun.

@american_in_uk Yeah, it’s actually already improving a bit. I feel like I might die instead of like I’m actually dying. Which I remember being a thing when I took that class, even though it was 15 years ago, so...nowhere to go but up.

@innova2019 Sorry to hear about your mom, it's a really unfortunate but strong start that you're feeling motivated to move though. If what you're doing is enjoyable (sounds like it's a little painful but in a good way) then keep it up! I think daily exercis is fine so long as you're not getting injured. The most important though is your diet, reduce processed sugars and lower your calorie intake. Even just a 200 calorie deficit is enough to be making fat loss. If you can, so body weight and postural corrective exercises sounds like it would benefit you. Look up a stretching routine that feels good and add in some body weight resistance exercises you can.

Alternatively, if you're willing to invest I'd get some cheap resistance bands at minimum, a door way pull up bar to anchor them if you can afford it (also makes pull ups a nice goal to work towards), and maybe weights if you can find them for a reasonable price. Resistance traing will far and way help fat loss and muscle building more than cardio alone. There's also lots of DIY home gym equipment videos on YouTube that make lots of stuff affordable and accessible.

At the end of the day just always remind yourself of why you're working hard, visualize your success, and have fun :)

@mickey3375 I joke that my cat would make GREAT weight training, but I don’t think he’d like me doing bicep curls with him very much. He’s 14 pounds and not an ounce of fat on that sleek mofo.

I’ve got some free weights picked out on Amazon. I just need a paycheck of regular size to afford them. I had to travel for the funeral and even using vacation time it was a squeeze.

@innova2019 Lol I've done some cat curls before too. Don't underestimate DIY equipment though, a couple old gallon jugs make for pretty decent weights. Filled with water it's about 8 pounds, filled with sand it's about 12. Not much but for a beginner it's useable and even for a seasoned lifter with enough reps you'll feel a good burn and pimp

@mickey3375 Everyone here is so supportive, and overestimating where I am SO MUCH. I haven’t done anything more strenuous than stocking at work in fifteen years. I could lift eight pounds, but I sure wouldn’t be using proper form doing it. The ones I have picked out are three and five, with intentions to move up from there.