Extremely confused about caloric deficits + healthy eating

simonpeter111

So I’m a beginner as you can tell, and I’m trying to lose weight + switch to a healthier lifestyle. (Context, I’m a 5’2, ≈130lbs, 18 y/o, female. I’m usually pretty active). Anyway, I have a lot of questions and confusion about the whole thing if someone could please give me advice!

1) If calorie deficit is the only thing that makes weight loss happen, then what’s the point of eating healthily/balanced, as long as it’s in deficit?

2)If exercising burns calories, but causes you to require more calories, then how does it aid weight loss?

3)If I burn an inconsistent amount of calories every day (on days I work, I usually burn 2,100+, on days I don’t work, I usually burn 1,400–1,800), how can I guarantee that my caloric deficit is always a deficit?

4) If you’re cooking, how can you keep track of how many calories you’re consuming? And how are you supposed to cook frequently and with good ingredients when you’re broke and extremely busy?

5)Also how am I supposed to be a normal person with a normal life and stuff if I can’t eat the majority of foods?! I’ve noticed even granola bars have ≈200 calories per, and I’ve been trying to do 1,500 calories a day, so I can’t even eat granola bars. Or bagels. Or peanut butter.

6) I know it’s okay to occasionally have a little treat, so on those days, are you supposed to just move on afterwards and eat like normal, as if you hadn’t eaten extra calories, or are you supposed to subtract your treat from your total daily calorie allowance and eat very little for the rest of the day?

I know it’s a lot, but any bit helps, thanks!

@simonpeter111
1) If calorie deficit is the only thing that makes weight loss happen, then what’s the point of eating healthily/balanced, as long as it’s in deficit?

There’s more to health and wellness than skinny vs fat. Food is fuel and different things require different types of fuels. You use carbs for energy, protein for muscle recovery, fats for hormone production, stuff like that.

2)If exercising burns calories, but causes you to require more calories, then how does it aid weight loss?

Everything you do requires calories, food is fuel remember? Don’t overthink it. You don’t have to eat back extra fuel for the gym unless you’re like training for a marathon or something

3)If I burn an inconsistent amount of calories every day (on days I work, I usually burn 2,100+, on days I don’t work, I usually burn 1,400–1,800), how can I guarantee that my caloric deficit is always a deficit?

Your body doesn’t reset the count when you go to bed at night, think of your calorie deficit on a weekly basis rather than just the day. Additionally I’m assuming you’ve got a smart watch or something that’s where you’re getting those numbers, just ignore them honestly. Use a tdee calculator online, plug in your stats, and go from there.

4) If you’re cooking, how can you keep track of how many calories you’re consuming? And how are you supposed to cook frequently and with good ingredients when you’re broke and extremely busy?

I use my fitness pal to track my calories, there’s lots of free apps though. You just log every ingredient that goes in. Sounds daunting but it takes less than a minute it’s not a huge deal. As for broke and busy, now you’re speaking my language. I do all my cooking in one day. I make a bunch of meats like chicken breast, London broil, pork loin, shrimp, etc and get them ready and sliced up so I can just weigh out a portion when I’m packing my lunch in the am. I also like to make a bunch of sides like potatoes, roasted veggies, big salad, whatever. The idea is to be able to just grab what you need out of the fridge. Been saving money by doing this as well. Like a lot of money.

5)Also how am I supposed to be a normal person with a normal life and stuff if I can’t eat the majority of foods?! I’ve noticed even granola bars have ≈200 calories per, and I’ve been trying to do 1,500 calories a day, so I can’t even eat granola bars. Or bagels. Or peanut butter.

You can eat whatever you want as long as you account for it. Remember you can look at your deficit by the week (or even month if you want to) so say Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday you cut out an additional 50 calories each day. That means Friday you can eat that 200 cal granola bar and that 50 cals you were cutting since it balances, like a checkbook. You can do it the other way around too. Apply this to everything you wanna eat that’s important to you. Just takes some planning.

6) I know it’s okay to occasionally have a little treat, so on those days, are you supposed to just move on afterwards and eat like normal, as if you hadn’t eaten extra calories, or are you supposed to subtract your treat from your total daily calorie allowance and eat very little for the rest of the day?

Fuck it, log it, back on the horse. We’ve got the rest of our lives there’s going to be good days and bad days but time goes on. If you have a bad day, womp womp and move on

Hopefully this helps, I know starting can be daunting but don’t worry, you will pick it up as you go 💪

@simonpeter111 Re #1- b vitamins protect your nerves, preventing damage that would cause a lifetime of chronic pain. Calcium, D, and K work together to prevent your teeth from rotting and your bones from snapping. Etc etc. There are many nutrients your body needs for a large variety of functions.

At 18, you need a nutritious diet more than people older than you do. You are in a certain window for your body to set itself up for the future. Your bone density window will close soon. Your brain is still remodeling.

@simonpeter111 We eat to provide the body the nutrients it needs. You can eat all those things you mentioned, just eat a reasonable amount.

You don't actually have to count calories, is just very helpful to do. You could just do portion control and that should result in a calorie deficit.

Don't restrict your diet too much, it will just make you hate it and stop following it. Continue to eat your favorite foods, just not a crazy amount daily. 3 meals a day is all most people need.

@simonpeter111 What has helped me the most with losing weight is being active + not worrying about calories or nutrition. I just try to walk a lot, and eat veggies+protein, peanut butter, muesli and protein shakes. I find stressing about calories and nutrition makes it a lot harder to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Find foods you enjoy that are healthy, live an active lifestyle and just live your life without worrying. Weight loss will come. That's my opinion at least.

@simonpeter111 On a garbage diet you may notice much more painful period cramps. Its good to have a healthy ratio of protein, fats, and carbs. You just also in general feel better physically and mentally especially when you are in a deficit and already low energy bc of that. Eating a balanced diet and as a result having a good hormone balance is also ideal at that age. I mean its important at any age but especially at your age

Back