Feeling fatigued in the final 6 weeks before a triathlon - any nutritional or training advice?

billard

I'm training for my first triathlon (and have been for 18 months now thanks to covid delays, but I needed it!) which is taking place in 6 weeks time.

I'm pretty fit I'd say, cardiovascular system could be better but it's generally pretty good. I'm currently doing a lot of exercise, but the minimum for what's recommended for triathletes. Essentially one HIIT and one endurance workout for each discipline a week (6 sessions total) which works out as -

2 x run
1 x spin class
1 x open water swim and 20km cycle brick workout
1 x pool swim

.... And I'm knackered! I enjoy this level of working out, but I'm starting to get cloudy brain during the day and really need to gear myself up for the workouts. I don't feel like I'm overtraining, don't have any injuries or niggles and have been building up to this amount slowly over time.

I wanted to ask if anyone has any tips for nutrition, recovery techniques etc that will help me get through the next 4 weeks (2 week taper) and keep performing? I already sleep 9 hours a night, stretch and foam roll when I remember to. I'm thinking of incorporating a daily protein shake to keep protein high for recovery? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT - thank you all so much for all of the recommendations and checking me!! I've realised that I'm.definitely undereating and plan to change that stat, as well as looking at iron levels. I also plan to take a deload week next week and really dial back the workouts to give me time to reset. I really appreciate your advice and have been reminded why this is such an awesome community :)

@billard Late to the party, but also a fellow triathlete! I took a look at your answers to everyone's posts and it seems like you have your training sessions and nutrition pretty dialed-in for a sprint distance. In my experience, when I'm approaching peak training weeks, a little brain fog is inevitable. Salt intake might be something to look at, especially if you sweat heavily or do your training sessions in the heat/humidity (look for salt crystals/outlines on your clothing). I sweat heavily and don't habitually add salt to my regular meals since I've always been taught that too much salt = bad! Sometimes when I'm in the middle of a big training block and wondering why I'm so damn tired, I'll have fries at a restaurant or have a few salt tabs and suddenly have vastly improved mental focus! It's worth a shot - I find insufficient calories and overtraining have a completely different, more "systemic" feel (heavy legs, general low energy) than sodium deficiency, which I find is very closely tied to mental acuity.

@ninasreborn1 Thank you so much for this!

This is really interesting because yes, I can push through my workouts at the moment so even though I will still definitely add more fuel, I thought it was more likely to be something small to tweak.

I use electrolyte powder in water which really helps - it doesn't taste amazing but it really makes a difference and would recommend it! But I'll definitely take that on board. I had some peanuts after a spin class yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed them so you may very well be on to something!

@billard Check out beginnertriathlete.com. When I was doing races (full resume is over 40 of various distances including one full Ironman, two half, and mostly Oly), I frequently went there for a wealth of information, including nutrition. The three pillars of triathlon are swim, bike, run. Nutrition is sometimes considered the fourth pillar and has just as much an impact on your race performance and training experience as swim, bike, run training.

The amount of cardio you wind up doing preparing for triathlons means higher consumption of good carbs compared to when you lift, which requires higher consumption of protein. Exhaustion could be you're not properly replenishing your glucose stores, which is the #1 energy store your body will go to when doing all that cardio.

Further, don't underestimate the need to replenish your electrolytes, which lack thereof can cause severe exhaustion and muscle cramping. Rather than drink sports drinks, which might only have one or two of the four main electrolytes, I would take SaltStick Plus tablets, which have all four electrolytes built into one pill.

@elev8 Thank you so much for this! I will definitely check it out :)

We've got an electrolyte powder we use in water and it's definitely so much better than a lucozade! Doesn't taste as nice though hahah!

I'll go look at that website now!

@billard I definitely need more carbs when my weekly mileage is up. Add a bagel with the protein shake? Or forgo the shake completely. Some one else commented and I agree it could also be your menstrual cycle.

Are your runs outside? Slow your pace down in the heat (if its summer for you now).

@tommy114 I'm in follicular phase now, but I don't know how that impacts energy - researching now!

Yes they are, they're a bit odd because I'm recovering from Hoffa's fat pad impingement so my training is basically to run fast (4:30/km) for intervals and focus on good run/sprint style form rather that traditional jogging programs. So I can't slow my pace much but I could extend the intervals if I need to. Luckily in the UK it's not all that hot at the moment so it's manageable!

@billard Makes sense cause I was wondering where in the US has a tri in the middle of the summer lol. We are having record heat in some parts, although I'm in the south where its always hot, and it's a constant battle between pacing and the heat/humidity. Hopefully as you start to taper soon you'll start to feel a bit better. Sounds like you are about at the peak of training so some fatigue would be expected!

Good luck on the race, I've always thought to do a tri but never cared to train for one. So props on sticking with it!

@tommy114 Thanks so much! Yeah we had a heatwave a few weeks back but it's cooled off. Keeping fingers crossed it's not toooo hot in early August!

I've honestly loved it. It's a lot of effort but the reward matches it and there's some awesome communities around to support too!

@billard If it's not consistent/ just hitting you now, it could have to do with your menstrual cycle. The good news is if you're in a bad part now, you'll be in a good part for race day! More info.

@sheamiao I was on holiday about 4 weeks ago in Wales. Still did some hikes/swim in the sea etc but it was definitely a recovery period.

Are you thinking a deload week?

@billard Take a rest week, not just a deload week. Get just enough movement in to not go crazy, like a 30 minute stroll in the evening. Load up on the protein and healthy fats. East close to the way you do while you’re in training.

Bodies need a chance to repair, to heal, to rest.

@billard Great suggestions and conversation here! Also wanted to suggest movement outside of training schedules that is fun, nourishing, and enlivening. From dance to yoga to leisure hiking/biking. Balance out the training-based movement with things that your soul desires

@melisa Thank you for this :) luckily I absolutely adore swimming and it's my complete zen time, nothing like getting in the flow of movement and forgetting everything else!

But a good reminder. My partner suggested we do a yoga class on Friday night so I will make sure I take him up on that!!

@billard From the convo below I see that you're considering the possibility of underfueling, which was my first thought as well. A few other things that are important to remember:
  • For long workouts and for two-a-days, carbs matter. If you finish a workout and know you'll be doing another in less than 24 hours, get some carbs immediately afterward. It'll help you feel fresh for the second one.
  • Carbs before and during long endurance workouts matter, too. Are you using gels or any other intra-workout carb sources? When I was training for a marathon, I had a gel an hour; some people do more. Remember that you'll need fuel on race day, so practice using it now.
  • Overreaching is often to be expected toward the end of a long tough training plan. 6 weeks out, you're probably at or near your peak volume and intensity. It's okay if it feels tough, so long as you can get through it. (You're absolutely doing the right thing now by using this as a nudge to improve your recovery.) Taper time will be here before you know it, and you might be a little uneasy with all the rest. Work on your mental game now, and recognize where you are in the training cycle and what each part of it is doing for you.

@anon103 Thank you so much!

Yes I usually get a cliff bar or something in straight after, or even in-between for the brick workouts. Gels save my life so I definitely use those! Sometimes in my water bottle, sometimes just straight but they help a lot you're right.

Thank you for your last point, makes me feel a little more sane for feeling this way! It's snuck up on me and just fine nutrition has got me through til now but it's clearly time to dial it in for the peak! Very true about the taper, I think walking and yoga will be my saviour.

@billard How are you sleeping? You need good sleep for your body to repair and recover. Like, nice long nights of sleep - at least 7-9 hours a night.

Here’s a way to evaluate- if you can lie down during the afternoon and fall asleep within 5-10 minutes, you’re not getting enough sleep at night. Do something relaxing pre-bedtime, too, like gentle stretching followed by an epsom salts bath or a hot shower. Gets the muscles to relax and can help you sleep better.

I see lots of other tips on nutrition, so I won’t go into that. But getting adequate sleep is just as important.

@aarenlainey So I'm getting a good 8 or 9 hours a night. I get into bed at 10pm and am asleep by 11, and my alarm is 8am. I dont wake often in the night.

I've always been a sleepy person, like I can't function at all on less than 7 hours. So I could ALWAYS have an afternoon nap haha. But maybe I just need to go to bed half hour earlier or something while my training load is high?

Back