Feeling stuck (F 5.0 ft, 123.8 lb)

kjwg

Hi friends! I am just 7 pounds away from my gw (117-116). I do a lot of hiit, and body weights (with weights 1-2 a week) recently took up running. I typically work out 6/7 days (running for 2 miles, 1-1.5 hrs of workouts, and additionally a 2 mile walk with my dog). I eat relatively healthy. I am however stuck on my weight of 123.8 (Started 138). According to my watch I burn close to 800 kcals since taken up running (they don’t really go below 400, even on slow days) and eat around 1300-1400 calories It is really hard to push my body to eat more than this (unless I’m eating junk food). I just feel like I am stuck in this weight for a while. Is there any advice to lose the last 7 pounds that I’m not already doing? Thank you!!

@kjwg I'm not sure how long you've been at this, but honestly, I'd recommend a maintenance break. Your body does A LOT and 1300-1400 is not a lot of food. I put your stats into a TDEE calculator, and your TDEE is probably around 2000-2100. I'm sure your body is stressed out, trying to keep up with all the exercise while trying to sustain on very little food. EAT MORE. Up your calories to maintenance for a few weeks, and then go back to a cut again if you want.

@mos13foxtrot I have been in and out of this since March of last year. Been putting my best effort since December and just uptaked running a few weeks ago

I would have never thought I was not eating enough since I don’t get really hungry. Thank you for your advice, I’ll up my food.

@kjwg I do a couple of things, especially after working out, I'll either eat a protein bar or have a protein shake. Gives me that extra 15-20g of protein that I need for the day!

@godisiam Of course! I use Isopure protein powder, I get the zero carb version just because I do like to watch my carbs for the most part, but it's the only protein powder I've tried that I don't mind the flavor of or the texture. As for protein bars.. I really like Built Bars BUT I usually get Alaninu. I can get the Alaninu's at my local GMC AND I prefer their flavor range over Built Bars, but Built Bars are still a great option in my opinion.

@kjwg March of LAST YEAR??? Girl, take a break and eat some delicious (and calorie-dense) foods! "Starvation mode" is a myth, but there's been research around how our bodies' energy output adapts to low calorie diets and tries to conserve energy elsewhere if it's not getting enough. Have yourself a few nice treat weeks. I've always broken my plateaus by going on vacation and eating burgers and fries and ice cream floats.

@mos13foxtrot I did quit for a couple of months/fell of the wagon! I usually treat myself to delicious treats (in moderation) during the day, and Saturdays I reward myself a bit more. I always thought CICO, strict CICO was the way to go. I guess not. That’s why I appreciate people like you who can guide me! Seriously! I had no clue.

Thank you so much for your input and advice. Will take it to heart!

@kjwg Just a suggestion...you could add in protein drink, if your not getting enough protein (I’m having a hard time). I found Naked Whey Vanilla. I’m pretty happy with the flavor, 150 calories, 25 gr of protein. I just add water.

@khemlin You literally read my mind when I was replying to someone else! I think that’s the missing piece. I don’t drink powder protein. But now I will! Thank you so much!

@kjwg You burn 800 extra calories a day, and eat 1300-1400? Thus leaving you with only 500-600 calories to sustain your body at rest??? That is way too much of a deficit. I agree, try slowly increasing calories and reduce the cardio, your body is probably mad stressed.

@yuripanta Now that I’ve asked and read about it, it makes so much sense. I end up so exhausted at the end of the day. But I didn’t put two and two together. It never occurred to me because I really never was more hungry. This is why I love asking for advice. Before I did, I was so so lost.

Thank you so so much!

@gneeva I am planning so as soon as I can return to the gym. I have weights (15-30lb) and I work out with them 2-3 a week, other than that is running/body weight/hiit. How would you advice to make an increase once in the gym?

@kjwg This goes against all of the 'correct' fitness advice of the moment, but I find that even the smallest bit of weight added to hiit (eg. crossfit) builds loads of muscle due to my body type (I'm sure every expert will have a lot to say about that) and that mostly cardio, eg. dancing, and light toning with a lot of stretching makes you lose mass and size without changing your diet much