Fitness advice

offenbarung

Posting for my bf since he doesn’t have a Reddit

Hi - I am a 26 year old male (6 ft, 150lbs) looking to start a new workout routine. I've been following the lifting program nSuns for the past 6 months or so, alternating between bench/squat/deadlift/overhead press 4-5 times a week. Although I experienced strength gains, I plateaued at higher weights and I don't want to gain weight to lift more.

I frequently did 5-mile runs throughout college and would like to do more regular cardio, but I can't find conclusive info/programs online on how to balance these core lifts with regular running. I think I'm more of a natural runner, but I'd like to stay toned and continue lifting (maybe 3 times a week?) with lower weights to maintain the muscle I have and be more well-rounded as an athlete. I do karate 2-3 times a week and I think more cardio would help with sparring, but I feel that strength work is important as well. I’m not looking to run marathons or continually break PRs in the gym - I just want to be physically balanced and healthy. What would you recommend I do?

@offenbarung You can't have it all. You're going to have to gain a little weight to get stronger or you're going to have to focus on lifting fully to get stronger without gaining weight. You definitely will have a hard time being a runner, doing martial arts and trying to get stronger. You will always be in limbo and one will take away from the other. Figure out your priorities first, then go from there