Folks who workout twice a day, what does your life look like on a daily basis?

heegar

I have recently started incorporating SOME workout in my day (C25K) but I feel like I am not doing enough. Like my life otherwise is quite sedentary and I am thinking to incorporate a 30-40 minutes walk in my daily routine in addition to C25K. While I know I am just starting out and won’t push myself to do a lot and then burnout, I am still curious how I’ll manage it when/if I decide to. For context, I am single, have a cat, would be returning to a 9-5 job soon, but of course I cook, clean, do the dishes, shower, play with cat, get 8 hours of sleep, and in between all this I can’t even find time to read properly (a hobby).

So how do y’all multiple-workout-in-a-day folks do it? How many hours do you sleep, what does your life look like?

@heegar I don’t know if this is the answer you’re looking for because I don’t technically work out twice per day. I go to the gym only once per day, almost always to lift weights.

But at least 3 days a week in the winter and 6-7 days per week in the summer, I am active outside of the gym. This is usually either walking downtown and back from my house (~5 miles round trip) or riding my bike (up to 25-30 miles per day in the summer).

I am walking downtown to do things I would do anyways, like go to the grocery store or meet a friend for coffee. On my bike, I’m using that in place of my car.

So by just using my body to commute as often as possible, I often end up getting two or more “workouts” per day.

@kyrie_eleison Noooo, I LOVE this!! I was this person before covid, I bikes EVERYWHERE. It’s like I did not have feet/legs, I had WHEELS! It also helped that I lived and worked downtown both. Easily the best time of my life, not much thinking about “working out” ykwim?!

Thanks for sharing! I need to start doing this again starting with maybe finding a job downtown again.

@heegar Yeah, it can be hard if you live in an area with poor or no bike-friendly infrastructure. I actually do — I mentioned “downtown,” but it’s a small downtown district in a suburb about 25 minutes outside the nearest major city.

I actually have figured out bike routes that just cut through the residential side streets so that I can mostly stay off the major roads. Makes for a safe and much more enjoyable ride, but it does mean my rides tend to be a little less direct/time efficient.

@heegar Wake up at 445 - lift/core/stretch/10 to 15 peloton ride

Lunch/late afternoon - 30 to 45 min run (in training for a ten mile race so mileage/time fluctuates)

I also play on two beer league hockey teams. If I have a game I usually drop a workout since I have the game. Prior to the game I foam roll and use a theragun for a good 15 to 20.

The key I have found is proper sleep, eating (I rejoined weight watchers and dropped 15lbs so far), hydration and snack on real food not just protein bars or do some intermittent fasting. I also have a four and five year old that are active in sports. So the long and short, yes it can be done. It’s all about time management and even if a workout is 20 min it’s still better than nothing.

@olatunde Yea I've got 2 and have slept less lots of times and it shouldn't be a routine. Fine when you have a baby but once they're settled getting a few hours you should be getting 7 to 8 otherwise you'll just ruin yourself. Don't listen to this hustle culture youtuber shite about getting up at 4am to work out its dogshit

@sarnmere I have young kids. If I didn’t get up to workout at 5 am my options for working out would be (1) not doing it or (2) never seeing my wife alone because I would be exercising on the 1ish hour we have between the time we finish our parental duties and the time we go to sleep.

Optimal is cool but not always an option. If working out in the only time slot available makes me hustle culture then so be it.

@olatunde The average person requires eight hours of sleep each night else their risk of almost every health condition increase significantly. Young children sometimes demand less sleep than ideal, but this is not a normal or healthy lifestyle. A small proportion of the population have a genetic mutation which allows them to survive on an average of six hours of sleep each night. I don’t believe any research indicates five hours is reasonable or healthy, and OP should adjust with urgency. Assuming they’re telling the truth.