For hypertrophy, would it be a good idea to start heavy at a weight I can do 5-6 reps with until the number gets double digit'd?

revbillw

The scheme would be everything starts hard and heavy and I go until I can move those same weights for more reps. I know that sounds textbook, but Im talking everything

Right now I can do a 195lbs barbell row for 6 reps, and 30lbs dumbbell hammer curls for 6 reps.

If I benched 170 for 6 and did rope extension for 6 and worked until I hit double digits in reps on both, would it still be good for hypertrophy? Or does the number for each matter, due to them being different types of exercises.

I'm lean bulking for the time being and good strength with hypertrophy is my number one gym goal.

@kelsey12 Been going to gyms for almost 15 years now and barbell row is one of those excercises I get very happy when I see someone doing them with great form because 9/10 times they are upright as fuck and using shitloads of momentum

@pts79 Such a great movement. I get more out of lighter weight on it though, getting up to the 200s I get cheaty. But maybe I’m just weak

@revbillw That's a basic progress overload scheme.

If your goal is hypotrophy I'd start off by perfecting your form. You're most likely progressively cheating more than actually getting stronger (based on your 195 rows for reps contra 30's in hammercurls).

@revbillw that s how i start it 2 months ago, after a long time without gym.

so i start with a relatively heavy weight, doing 6 reps, then 12 reps, then 6 reps with 4 seconds tempo for rep, now i am somewhere beetween 9 and 13 reps, after i ll reach 15 reps i am gonna increase the weight, it s not textbook but i wanted to push something heavy after a long time without gym.

@revbillw This could work well if you are gaining strength consistently. I think the potential problem is that if you don't progress and get stuck in that low rep range for too long, you could start burning out from going so heavy everytime, depending on your frequency. If that's the case you could cycle between heavier and lighter (higher rep) days.