For those of you meal prepping and sick of having rice as your carb base, try farro (170 calories, 5 g fiber, 7 g protein)

1stbrownhorse

Almost all grains (and quinoa) come out to the same amount of calories per 1/4 cup dry. Usually 150-170 calories. After meal prepping for over a year, I have officially gotten tired of rice as my go to base for meals. Normal white rice, jasmine, basmati, brown, wild, I am sick of it. My biggest pet peeve is that when I cook it perfectly, it will no doubt turn into mush when it is reheated. Yeah, there's quinoa but it does not satisfy me the way that rice does or even pasta.

My other issue is that it contains so little fiber and protein, I'm pretty sure a potato is better but I don't wanna go through making mashed potatoes.

Then I found farro. Folks, this stuff is gold. 170 calories per serving but it has 5 g of fiber and 7 g of protein! The final product is of a lower volume than rice but it is so much more filling and enjoyable to eat in my opinion. It does not go mushy when stored. Cooking it is literally easier than making brown rice since I don't need to screw around with the perfect proportion of water and it only takes 25 minutes to cook.

@1stbrownhorse Just wanna defend potatoes real quick. Mashed potato rules and is extremely easy to make, plus it’s full of fibre and potassium and is an excellent carb. And super easy to make delicious and creamy by adding dairy (or dairy substitute) fats. It probably takes 10-15 mins to make. My recommendation would be to choose a good mashing/pureeing potato.

I’ve also been loving a big pile of roasted sweet potato as my main dinner carb

@followstheway Ikr, as an East Asian I feel sick after not eating rice for a few days. Also, I will say, having a good pressurized rice cooker really does make a difference. My rice reheats perfectly every time!

Back