To those of you who feel you've mastered pushing to true failure, do you get grindy reps no matter the exercise?

@jacob40524 Tbh I don't think pushing to failure is that difficult, once you know the movement it's all down to exercise selection.

When we hit that point where we can't move the weight anymore, it's not actually muscular failure its just the point of maximally perceived effort. Muscle failure as well as coordination, cardio etc all contribute to this as well.

So when you push a set to failure of standing OHP, you're always going to be hitting that point of maximal effort sooner than if you were doing a shoulder press machine that's a lot more stable without such a big coordination and stability demand.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FnOPvUYWAAETD0l?format=jpg&name=large

Here's a good illustration. The bigger the green part is the more motor units you'll recruit when you hit that point.

And if you did a standing OHP on roller-skates, you'll probably stopping like 8 RIR every set if you survive.

@jacob40524 Not quite sure what you mean by grinding reps. Is this form breaking down and just pushing through with bad form or doing partials?

I think partials done with good form are beneficial when training to failure but I don't enjoy them so I don't do them.

But I do train to failure every exercise and pretty much every set. The way I do it is just start my first set heavy and make the following sets lighter as needed. I have a minimum number of reps I want to hit but keep going till I can't anymore.

Then often for my last set I'll either do a proper drop set or just set the weight super light and do something silly like 25 reps. Purpose of this is just to guarantee a pump and muscle fatigue. I should note I usually don't do this every exercise but always make sure to do it on the last exercise for that particular muscle group that day.

@jacob40524 there's a million definitions of failure, it's silly to worry about it too much imo - push hard and ensure your workouts are progressive in some fashion and then recover from that. if you really want to talk about true failure, it'd be something like the full ROM for x weight then once you fail that, shortening that ROM until you can't even move the weight from the full negative an inch, then lowering weight and repeating this all the way down the stack until you can't even move the lightest possible weight an inch. idk anyone who is doing that

i don't grind reps - when going to failure, i'll just shorten my ROM while still going to the full negative until the ROM is basically none. i'd rather work the bottom end of the ROM for a couple more partials than put all that energy into pushing out another concentric which i doubt will produce much growth.