Form check for the big 4

stripe

I managed to get all of my 5/3/1 lifts for cycle 4 week 3 recorded in slow motion (and regular speed). It is kind of neat to see them in slow motion, and I feel like there might be slight nuances and movements that may otherwise have been overlooked at regular speed. Anyhow, I was planning on posting to r/weightroom as they usually provide some great feedback but I'm also interested in hearing what the 30+ crowd says. You guys know "the struggle" and can probably provide a different perspective. My ultimate goal is really just general strength progression. It would be awesome to one day be either in the "1000 lb club", or the 1/2/3/4 plate OHP/BP/Squat/DL club (if that is even a thing). I'm also dieting (~2000 cal, 165+g protein/day) to lose body fat. Here are the lifts. I welcome any and all constructive criticism. Thank you.

@stripe BP looks ok, OHP looks OK.

You start with your hips pretty high on the deadlift. Try to sit back into it. This will keep your torso more vertical. You might lift less at first, but it'll help you in the long run

Looks like maybe you don't put your hips far enough back on your squat. I'm not completely sure on that though...

@stripe I'm right about where you are, numbers-wise. I only watched your heaviest lifts and they all looked fine to me. I use a mixed grip for deadlift after ~260lbs... Working on some grip training but I think I'll always need it if I keep going heavier.
Nice work man, keep it up!

@stripe Unless you're going to compete in powerlifting, use double overhand for your deadlifts. Mixed grip comes with torn biceps. OHP looks good. Squat looks good, but you fidget a lot during your setup. I have nothing to say about bench, because fuck bench.

@marsbars I go double OH grip and beltless for as many warmup sets as possible (even into the work sets if possible)... Usually anything over 225 I'll switch over to mixed grip, but I agree that a double overhand grip is more symmetrical. I do fidget alot on the squat, you are right there. Why the bench hate? It's not my favorite either but I'm just curious. Thanks for the feedback

@stripe Mostly because I'm terrible at it. Long arms, pectus excavitum, underdeveloped chest. It's a fickle mistress that I just don't get along with. I've put about a hundred pounds on it in three years, and that's been grindy at times. Just hate it. I'd rather OHP.

@marsbars A hundred? I envy you. My bench stalls at a certain point and I never get further with it. I mean, I know about plateaus, but this feels like an inherent cap or something.

@gbailey Well, starting at 85 leaves a fair bit of headroom. I've been stuck trying to get past 195 5x5 for Uhh... Ever. My 1rm PR is a single at 245. Gorilla mode, for sure.

@marsbars I only get to sort of 60 kg + bar, and then I don't get much further. I can put on a bit more, but that really just means I'll be doing less and less reps... I think my pecs are defective.

@marsbars
Mixed grip comes with torn biceps.

I've no idea where this idea comes from. I've been pulling mixed grip for 3 years, mainly because it feels better and I can lift more.

The "torn bicep" thing seems to be a meme

@dawn16 Because something that doesn't happen to you doesn't exist? Google "mixed grip bicep tear"

It's a thing, and its nasty. I pulled for two years, mixed grip, without tearing a bicep. Now, it's hookgrip, and double overhand, for the rest of life. I'm not a powerlifter, the extra chance of injury just isn't worth it.

@marsbars
Google "mixed grip bicep tear"

And you get a bunch of hits from blogs and message boards saying that it's not all that common and just making sure to keep your arms straight is enough to prevent it.

You've no idea how often it happens, or what the chances are of it happening to you.

Mixed grip bicep tear is a meme. And you bought into it.

@dawn16 I mean the second link is a reddit thread discussing exactly this from a guy who tore his bicep mixing grip.

You do whatever you want man, but again, I'm not a competitive powerlifter, so the increased risk (even if minimal) isn't worth it. Unless someone is a competitive powerlifter, maybe it's not worth the risk to them either.

Increased strain on the supinated arm is a physical reality of anatomy, not a meme, but hey... I'm just some jackass on the internet, what do I know?

@dawn16 I'm aware of that. 1000 lb club is for the "big 3". I use the "big 4" terminology because pressing things overhead is awesome.

edit: thanks for all the insightful feedback! /s

Back