Gaining weight

@jedimasteradi Lol this is a load of shit. Nothing wrong with bodyweight exercises or calisthenics, but you don’t need to do them first to ‘be ready for weights’.

OP issue sounds like plain overeating.

@dawn16 I have seen so many injuries and also people moving up in weight and making all these noises but yet the exercise is not even being done correctly in which a person who has muscle and mind connection don’t even have to do to much weight and get better results. Calisthenics is an all around workout and takes care of your core.

@jedimasteradi You can still lift weights as a beginner and prioritise learning form and technique combined with steady progressive overload.

Unless it’s something you want to do, there’s no added benefit in fluffing around doing bodyweight exercises compared to just doing the above.

Calisthenics is an all around workout that takes care of your core

Weightlifting can be the exact same.

@dawn16 It all depends on what you’re going for. I feel like people who are aware of there bodies and find that muscle and mind connection naturally it sets you up better at the gym. Also you’re more agile and don’t walk around all stiff. But I respect your opinion my man.

@jedimasteradi It is about what you're going for, but you can develop a mind-muscle connection and body awareness through weight training, it isn't unique or easier to do with bodyweight training.

@dszumera How much daily activity do you get outside of the gym? From what I understand, truck driving involves very long hours of sitting and driving. If that's the case for you, I'd be more strict with my diet.

Atm, it seems as if you're eating 3 big meals, 2 snacks, and a shake a day. I'd cut out one of the snacks (chips and soda) and maybe replace it with some fruits if you really need it. I would also lower the quantity of one or two of the big meals. It doesn't have to be drastic but should be less. Again, can replace it with some veggies instead.

If your weight still isn't going down, then you'll need to look into your workout or how much activity you're getting outside of the gym.

@gr3mlin Nothing practical. I get 2 hours of walking a day at work.
Get to my stop, unload the groceries with an electric pallet jack.
Probably like 22 pallets walking back and forth.

I didn’t do anything else because I kept reading to just rest. You kill your gains if you burn calories.

Im not being a troll here. I genuinely did look up information but every post is contradictory.

Do cardio/don’t do cardio.

Work out one muscle a day/work out two muscles a day.

Only eat 1 pound of protein per pound. I’m force to add more rice to make up the carbs. Then I’m told too much rice. So do I add more protein? Then I’ll read a post to not over eat protein,

I genuinely need advice or for someone to send me a link to a trusted site.

https://reddit.com/r/Fitness/s/KDOiEB2X2L
Cause this is the one I used.

@icetiger100 5’7
200 pounds
Like 27-30 percent body fat

I thought to not do cardio and just rest. More calories to the muscles. This is what I don’t understand. Most posts I read are, don’t do cardio.

@dszumera If you are trying to lose weight, you need to be ina caloric deficit, and cardio helps you into that deficit. Not doing cardio is broscience nonsense. You aren't losing weight because you are in a caloric surplus because you're consuming more calories than you burn

@dszumera So, that's true if you're leaning out and in a big caloric deficit. Like if you were trying to get from 12 to 10% body fat, yeah, maybe cut the cardio. But you're at almost 30%. You can do cardio too. Also 2500 is probably not a caloric deficit. I'm 6'1, get 10000 steps a day, and work out 4 times a week. For me to lose weight I need to be hitting 2200-2300 cals. You're not as tall so yours is likely even lower. No way for me to say exactly, but by your own admission you're gaining weight on 2500, so you're obviously in a surplus.

@dszumera cardio is fine. if anything it helps with bloodflow/recovery and work capacity and up to a point the effect of being able to eat more carbs might be a net positive.

if you are lifting and getting 2 hours of walking though you probably don't *need* any for general health.

if your rate of fat gain is too much lower the calories. yes macros are macros but the pbj sandwich and chips seem like easy culprits.

if you aren't getting stronger then reexamine your sleep and training routine. maybe try a decent bodybuilding program from the boostcamp app.

@mommajulesberry Honestly imma cut pbj and the chips.

Someone mentioned a pbj can hit 700 calories alone,
So with the small bag of chips. That’s like 1000 calories alone,
I didn’t think pbj was that much. I looked at the back of the jars and bread. Assumed one scoop is what it said on the back.

My sleep is bad. I think. 4 days out of the week I’ll get 8 hours. 3 other days due to work I’ll probably get like 3-4 hour. I’m on call. So I go into work whenever I’m needed. My schedule until I get more seniority.

I workout during the days I get to sleep 8 hours. That’s why I work out 4 days a week.

@dszumera ok for sure sleeping like shit can certainly make the muscle to fat ratio pretty bad. id be looking into everything you can to improve that like screen time/eye mask/sleeping earlier/napping.

people are usually pretty awful at measuring peanut butter i think you will be surprised if you took a scale.

4 day training is fine. you might just have to be more flexible when shit happens and adjust things on the fly but your program should probably just look generally like a sensible bodybuilding program if that is your goal.

@dszumera
Someone mentioned a pbj can hit 700 calories alone, So with the small bag of chips. That’s like 1000 calories alone, I didn’t think pbj was that much. I looked at the back of the jars and bread. Assumed one scoop is what it said on the back.

Get a digital kitchen scale. Measure the jar of peanut butter before and after. Assuming you're going to eat all the peanut butter off the knife/spoon. I've measured the shit out. One heaping teaspoonful of peanut butter that I put in my shakes clocks in at 30+ grams at times. That's 180+ calories and 16+ grams of fat right there. Meanwhile it says on the nutrition label 1 tbsp = 15g. lmfao. I'm convinced that the teaspoons that they sell are not actual real tsp measurements. You need to actually buy one of those little plastic tsp measurement things to get a real teaspoon.

One thing you have to be mindful of with digital kitchen scales: Any nutrition label that goes by ml instead of grams is going to be tough to track. Because the ml setting on the digital kitchen scale assumes that whatever you are measuring has the same density as water (1g/ml). So if you're measuring something like ice cream, you're going to have to figure out how much an empty container weighs. And how much a full container weighs. And then do the math to figure out how many ml there are in a gram. Ice cream typically has low density (Ben & Jerry's is more dense than most ice cream). Maple syrup is typically very dense. I was bulking for over a year hence why I speak from experience about the peanut butter, ice cream and maple syrup.

@asperd Honestly this helped.
I just measured the amount of milk I drank and pbj with milk

I think pbj alone was 700-900 calories.
I actually measured 1 cup of milk (120 calories) and realized I was drinking 3 cups of milk with pbj.
I consider 1 glassof milk to be the cup.
So I’ll end up drinking like 2 glasses of milk.

The peanut butter was like 300-400 calories just itself by the amount I was putting on my sandwich. Since it’s 2 tablespoons=14ish grams=210 calories. I calculated how much I was putting and it. And out to 50ish grams of peanut butter on my sandwich.

I guess my breakfast is as almost 1000 or more calories

@dszumera You have a bunch of calories on your own body in the form of fat, your body will take from there if it's missing some.

Most advice you see online about bulking or cutting is meant for people who've been training for a while and are at an already relatively low bodyfat %.

You CAN lose fat and gain muscle if you are fat and untrained, it gets more complex once you are at 10-15% body fat and only gain a few grams of muscle a year because you've been training for a decade.

You are worrying about gaining muscle optimally when you could be making 90% of the same gains while losing fat at the same time and end up with a better body in all aspects.

@dszumera Cardio gets a bad rap...from people who don't know what the hell they are talking about. Cardio is good for you. For bodybuilding, *too much* cardio could impact your gains but you aren't doing anything near that.

At your bodyweight/fat percentage, you should focus on a) eating in a slight deficit, b) be consistent with your lifting with a good beginner program, and c) (ideally) make sure to do at least the minimum amount of cardio recommended by exercise guidelines (150 minutes a week of moderate effort cardio - so, let's say 3 x 50 minutes of exercise bike per week). If your weight is going up, you are eating in a surplus so cut a couple hundred calories and see what happens over a week or two. If it's not changing, cut another couple hundred.

Based on your diet you have a couple small changes that would likely make the change in calories easy - 1) instead of chips, eat some fruit, and 2) instead of milk, have water during breakfast and with your shake. Other small changes you can make - instead of a PB&J, have a bowl of oatmeal with fruit or have some greek yogurt with fruit. Those small snack size greek yogurts with fruit from fage or whatever make excellent snacks and/or easy meals to take on the road as well.

Back