Geoff Neupert Mini Program Review - Giant + Strong

marthaschramm

Background:

I’ve been lifting on and off for several years, did an internship a few years back with an SFGII instructor, learned a lot about kettlebells, movement, and lifting in general. I’ve been using 5/3/1 programming for the past year, and recently wanted to focus more on programming around kettlebells instead of barbells. Wife and I have our first baby on the way in July, and I’ve reassessed my goals since we learned she was pregnant. I no longer have goals of trying to be the biggest and strongest– not that I was ever even close anyway, but I used this as an excuse to not prioritize conditioning, not keeping bodyfat levels in check, and taking long rest periods between all my sets leading to long, unfocused workouts. With a baby on the way, I’ve re-evaluated and want to get more conditioned, maybe drop a few pounds while keeping what strength and muscle I have, and will need to get my workouts done in a shorter time with a baby in the house. All this had lead me to focus on using my kettlebells and less on barbells/dumbbells.

Programs:

I did some research, and the programs put out by Geoff Neupert seemed to fit what I was looking for – shorter workouts, simple progressions, limited exercises, not overly complicated and just a change of pace from the typical barbell workouts I was used to. I ended up buying two of his programs – the Giant, and Strong, both of which utilize the Clean and Press (though I don’t see why they couldn’t be tailored to other exercises). Within each program you buy, there are multiple programs. For example, the Giant contains Giant 1.0, Giant 1.1, Giant 1.2, Giant 2.0, and Giant 3.0.
So far, I’ve used two programs – the Giant 3.0, and the Strong “short course”, both with a pair of 24kg bells. These are paid programs so I don’t want to give too much away, but the Giant 3.0 uses sets of 1-3 reps with your 5RM, and the Strong “short course” uses sets of 3-6 reps. Each of these was 4 weeks long, so 8 weeks total.

Results:

Before

Bodyweight - 200lbs

24kg - 8RM

32kg - 1RM

36kg - Absolutely not

After

Bodyweight - 197lbs

24kg - 12RM

32kg - 3RM

36kg - 1RM

I know these may not be the most impressive results, but I’m super happy with them and don’t think the numbers tell the full story. I have 32kg listed as my 1RM before I started, but this was a shaky, ugly, inconsistent 1RM. Now, my form is much more dialed in, I feel more in control, and the form on each rep of my 32kg 3RM now is much better than the form on my 32kg 1RM when I started. Also, my 1RM now with the 36kg is much cleaner and stronger than my 1RM with the 32kg from before, if that makes sense. Pretty stoked about my results so far.

Additional Thoughts:

I didn’t completely drop my barbell work, but I took it back to the bare bones 5/3/1 sets – no first set last, no joker sets, no AMRAPs, etc. Also, since the Neupert programs are designed to be run 3 days/week while 5/3/1 is 4 days/week, I used that 4th day for some additional exercises. My weekly schedule looked like this:

Tuesday:
5/3/1 Squat, KB C&P

Thursday:
5/3/1 Bench, KB C&P

Saturday:
5/3/1 Deadlift, KB C&P

Sunday:
5/3/1 Press, Pull-ups / Dips / Arms

All my barbell benching and pressing was supersetted with pullups. My Sunday workouts consisted of 5/3/1 press supersetted with pullups, 5 more sets of pullups supersetted with dips, and 3 sets of tricep cable pushdowns supersetted with bicep cable curls, with a drop set on the very last set. I always liked arm day so I threw it in since a few sets of arms and bodyweight exercises don’t seem to impede my recovery. My workouts were usually around 40 minutes, with my barbell sets taking 10 minutes and the C&P portion taking about 30 minutes. If I need to shorten my workouts more once baby comes, I’ll just drop the barbell work completely since I pretty much have it in there just to maintain the strength I previously built in those lifts.

Moving Forward:

I’m going to stay at 24kg while moving through Giant 1.0 – 1.2, since those programs say to start with your 10RM. My goal is to press my 40kg bell by the time baby comes in July, while improving my conditioning and maybe dropping a few more pounds, though that’s not my biggest priority right now. I enjoy this style of programming and it seems to work for me so far, so I’ll stick with it for the foreseeable future. I tend to ramble so hopefully this is helpful, but I’m pretty excited and wanted to share my results. Happy to answer any questions.

@snowlucario Yeah, the low reps lead to a ton of volume during the workout, because my rests were so short. It was a little more difficult to gauge compared to the higher rep sets. But without too much effort, I improved week to week by either doing more sets in the same time, the same sets in less time, or both - more sets/minute for more time. It’s been great!

@snowlucario I like a little more structure and progression for my workouts so I did 20/23/26/30, but there were a few workouts where I hit the same number of sets as the previous week in a faster time, and decided to take the win and end the workout a little early. I’ve had a mild knee injury from years ago, not lifting related, but it starts to flare up here and there. It’s not terrible by any means, but I’ve learned to not push it when I shouldn’t.

@marthaschramm Thanks for the write up!

I've been hard on kettlebells since my kiddos were born- the focused durations, full body workouts fit much better in the parenting lifestyle than going to a gym for an hour.

Also smart to really fatiuge yourself going into the last 2 weeks of pregnancy- you never know when the kid is going to come and it's good to be well rested when the kiddo comes- because you won't be getting much rest for 3-6 months after s/he is born!

@grace302015 Thanks!

We’re both super excited, I’m just really nervous. All our friends and family are out of state so it’s just me and my wife. But as far as training goes, it’s comforting that I’ve found a program that works for me, and at the minimum would require 90 minutes per week, which I’m hoping I can manage.

@marthaschramm 90 minutes/week is manageable. I have twins and hit that. I reckon you have one bun in the oven so you should be fine.

You'll learn to love early AM workouts. Get it in before the kid is up. I'm up at 5 and kids up by 6:30AM.

@grace302015 Yeah that’s the plan we came up with, getting it done first thing in the morning while everyone is still sleeping. I don’t mind getting up early, it’s nice to have some alone time in the garage just working out, listening to a podcast, focusing on the workout.

@marthaschramm Thanks for the write up and congratulations. Ditto on the morning routine. Since my daughter was born the evening is really the only time I have with her so it’s nice getting a workout in before her and my wife wake up in the morning.

Back