Geoff Neupert Strength Standards

@rabbie77 Seems like a no true Scotsman sort of stance. If there’s value for it in competition, surely there’s value for it in wellness/fitness. There isn’t that big of a dichotomy between the two, especially given most GS practitioners are hobbyists.

@snowlucario Nice to see some pure KB standards (not having to "translate" from barbell). I'm fairly strong for my size, but at 58kg bodyweight, I'm not going to reach those standards.

@snowlucario Nice targets. I think I'd stand a chance at goal #2 at the moment. 3,4 and 5 are a fair way off though, but they're a good series of milestones to aim for. Thanks for sharing this.

@snowlucario Got this email last night, and strangely enough, this is actually my goal. Currently running KB Strong with the 24's at the moment, got a pair of 28's waiting for me for when I finish which I anticipate to be mid-Sept. when I'll start Strong over again, and again with the 32's, after which I'll run Giant with them. So my workout plan is pretty laid out for the next year or two.

Some background info, I'm not that big, I'm only 5'10 and weigh about 170, so even the 24's are challenging, so I figure I'll be plenty strong if I can pull that off with the 32's. After that, who knows? we'll see.....

Also, as to why he picked these, I suspect one of the reasons is because Geoff is a fan of strongman Sig Klein who he references several times in his programs who issued a challenge back in the day to C+P two 75 dumbbells for 12 reps. Sig weighed 155 lbs. when he pulled that off, I mean, how much stronger do you need to be realistically? you can definitely handle anything life throws at you if you can do that.

@snowlucario I saw this email and it was a lighbulb moment - I'm really enjoying my progression right now so to have set benchmarks is incredibly motivating.

Geoff did a podcast with Gregory from Lebe Stark this week too - great listen on YouTube.

@snowlucario Did Geoff include explanations on why the 32 is the "strong enough" level?

What I liked about Dan's standards is that I know quite a bit about Dan and who he coaches and so when he says "lifting this much is game changer for your sports" I definitely believe it. But the regular person standards he once posted were a bit harder to understand. I don't even know if they are available anymore since they took down danjohn.net and didn't transfer things from there to DJU (or at least none of it is available without paying for membership).

@juancarlos He did.

“I believe it’s simply “strong enough” to tackle anything life throws at you so you can throw back.

It’s “strong enough” to chop a cord of wood without being overly sore the next day…

… To grapple without getting [too] gassed…

… To pack out your house at a moment's notice…

And probably even run faster, further, than your friend when being chased by a p*ssed off Momma Grizzly Bear, whose cubs you just scared while traipsing through the woods. ;-]”

He also talked a bit about how it could be argued that it’s fair to hold lighter guys to the same standard as heavy guys because “relative strength is higher in small guys”, but I don’t personally agree with the logic myself.

@franciscovelasco I like to think of it as “as strong as the average guy 100 years ago” or “average guy before modernity made us soft”

Sure there were still freaks and weaklings back then, but I think the average was much stronger.

@palmtreeclimber I disagree. 100 years ago nutrition was total trash and the goal was to get by and stay alive; strength for strength’s sake wasn’t largely a “thing”. Outliers, sure.

“Back in the good old days” is something they’ve been saying since back in the good old days.

@snowlucario That squat progression is…interesting.

When I went from BB to kettlebells, I could x2 bw back squat easily, but there was no way I could DFSQ a set of 32’s for 10. I can DFSQ a set of 28’s for 10 now; I’ll have to make a trip to the gym and see where I’m at.

Are people usually stronger on the front squat vs the back?

@franciscovelasco Indeed...what if a guy weight 75 kg ? Then for that guy 2x32 KB 10 reps much more harder than barbell bodyweight 15 reps..

I think Dan john must write new standards...

Kettlebell, dumbbell standards different than barbells

@snowlucario I see. And seems there's quite a bunch of Dan's blog posts there, though not my favorite, Training for middle age and beyond. Also, I hope Dan put them there and that it's not a copy site like the ones that were "trendy" at one point when there were blogs that just copied another (or several).