Geoff Neupert Strength Standards

snowlucario

Geoff just sent out an email with his “strong enough” strength standards.

They are:

[1] 10 sets of 5 reps Double Clean + Press with 2x32kg in 20 minutes or less

[2] 10 sets of 5 reps Double Front Squat with 2x32kg in 20 minutes or less

[3] 10 sets of 10 reps of 32kg Snatches in 10 minutes (that’s 5 sets of 10 each side)

With these interim goals:

GOAL #1: Use 2x16kg for the C+P, DFSQ, and 16kg for the Snatch.

GOAL #2: Use 2x20kg for the C+P, DFSQ, and 20kg for the Snatch.

GOAL #3: Use 2x24kg for the C+P, DFSQ, and 24kg for the Snatch.

GOAL #4: Use 2x28kg for the C+P, DFSQ, and 28kg for the Snatch.

I quite like these Strength standards, they definitely play well to Geoff’s programming which isn’t a surprise (nor is my liking of Geoff’s philosophy lol). The time domain and the sets are what I really like, and felt like was missing from Dan Johns Sleepless in Seattle standards. He has a bit more explanation, if anyone wants the full email I can forward it on.

@snowlucario This is probably good for “strong enough” - I am certainly still working toward this.

I understand DFSQ is hard, but I can’t get over the fact that you should press as much as you clean and squat here. I’d like to see higher standards for cleans and squats although I understand that practically not many people are going to have access to double 40 or double 48.

Dan John’s comparable standards are 5 reps for press and 10 reps for cleaning and squatting - a little bit toward what I’m saying but not much.

I guess I’m just stuck in the middle of the people who think squatting heavy is important and those who think it’s better just to maintain a base level of squat with good form.

Thanks for sharing.

@palmtreeclimber Unpopular opinion here, but I don't even think the double front squat is a very good leg exercise. The legs are the last thing to fatigue and sets usually cease due to back, shoulder, or ab fatigue.

The kettlebell standards should be something like split squatting, Bulgarian split squatting, or reverse lunging your pressing weights. That would make more sense, in my opinion and experience, and would also stimulate the lower body better while using the same sized kettlebells as your presses.

@palmtreeclimber I think Dan also says that squatting over some certain threshold doesn't translate to increased athletic performance. Although I'd imagine the threshold he talks about when using barbells is much higher than 64kg.

Re these standards. I'm pretty sure I'm somewhere between 2 and 3. I don't do many snatches at the loads I use C&P with because I worry about my right shoulder (which I previously dislocated). But I can certainly do the C&P and squat.

One of Dan's standards that I want to test soon is the standing long jump = height. About a year ago I was there +/- an inch. I'm currently heavier than I was then, but have more muscle and strength too. Wonder if my standing jump is better or worse than it was a year ago.

@jar1437 Cant remember which podcadt but to my recollection Dan John was talking about barbell squatting in the 300+ pounds range.

So if you squat say 350 and throw discos or run 100 meters, pushing your squat to 400 or 450 in his experience will not make you faster or throw longer.

For KB, few have the bells to ever even squat bodyweight?

@jar1437 Oh yeah, I tested my standing long jump this year and I was pleasantly surprised to have surpassed the goal, but I pulled a few weird muscles that I didn’t know about in the process.

@palmtreeclimber I can never figure out if Geoff’s views on squats are marketing schtick or not. I’m leaning towards not as he sent out an email about how squats aren’t needed at all if you’re doing clean and jerk. I don’t agree with the stance personally.

There is also a disproportionate difficulty with lighter weights for DFSQ than for barbell squatting, I can hit 315# for double digit reps but doubt I could get any with 2x40kg DFSQ, so the lighter weight standard for KBs does make sense in that way.

@snowlucario I don't know if it's marketing or not, but he sure does love to put C&P and FSqu in the same workout. Not having to swap bells every set is a selling point in that regard.

@snowlucario I think he described the DFSQ as something like a stationary carry due to the demands on the core, which I kind of agree on. I wouldn't agree with not squatting at all though. Although I think it all depends on what someone is going for.

@snowlucario Personally I think "standards " are silly. Just do your best and improve over time. Who cares compared to others. Itll save many people from more stress and anxiety.