Giant 3.0

mightyrose

Hello r/kettlebell. Long time reader, first time poster. A little about me, I’m 57 and started using kettlebells back in 2019. Started learning with the Skogg program with the basics, the started S&S. Things were going great until I ended up with a horrible case of golfer’s elbow that forced me to quit and go through PT. Picked up again after that just doing various training. In the time since I had a bout with Lyme Disease as well as a round of COVID, all which forced some pauses. I purchased several of Geoff Neupert’s programs, and did a session of Kettlebell Extreme with 24s in September ‘22. Started ‘23 with a session of DFW with 28s and then moved to Giant 3.0 with 32s. Now mind you, when I did Extreme with 24s it was a struggle, so being to get 32s up when I couldn’t even clean them before was quite exciting. Results were as follows:

Week 1: D1 60 D2 60 D3 47
Week 4: D1 74 D2 75 D3 66

Overall pretty happy with the results.

Currently on Week 2 of Giant 1.0 with the 32s and it is kicking my behind. Amazed at how difficult the sets of 6 are, as the fatigue really sets in.

Anyways, sorry for the long winded post. Keep strong r/kettlebell!

@mightyrose I saw him somewhere discussing making a 1.05 as a bridge. You could probably improvise something by looking at the pattern for 1.0/1.1/1.2.

Once you're done with 1.0 you're probably hitting something like 50-70 reps. I could see you doing 3.0 with 36s or 1.2 with 28s aiming for 80+ reps as a bridge to 1.1 with 32s.

1.0 with 32s is pretty great either way!

@hunter101 That's the one. I know I'm not the guy you're asking, but I also have it and think it's probably overall better value than the Giant, which is only C+P. It teaches you how to incorporate other exercises with the C+P and also along with having a bridge for 1.0 to 1.1, has the same for 3.0 to 1.0. I would say it makes a great compliment to the Giant.

@mightyrose That's excellent progress, especially after Lyme's (which seems to be pretty bad overall) and COVID (which is more random but can definitely mess with things). Do you have sports background?

@juancarlos No, not at all. Seven years ago I was close to 300 lbs and couldn’t do much without getting winded. I started walking 4 miles a day on the treadmill and at one point before Lyme I got to 185 lbs. Lyme really screws with your metabolism and stamina and then COVID screws with your heart rate. I’m currently around 225 lbs but with way more muscle than when I was at 185. My arms have not ever been this big. I work out 5 days a week and take the weekends off. Kettlebell M-W-F and 1.5 hours walking/jogging around 7.5 miles a day on T-Th. Trust me, once you get over 55 the weight really fights you coming off again. I’ll never look like some of you folks here, but I’m thrilled to be tossing up the 32s and can even do a set of 3 with double 36s now.

@mightyrose How about 20 or 30 years ago? It's easier to regain, even after years and years, than to gain strength the first time. I'm just asking as that is pretty astounding progress. Good job! No better way to prepare for retirement and beyond than putting on some muscle and strength.

@juancarlos I was never much of an athlete, at most on a casual basis. I’ve always been able to carry heavy things, just never applied to weightlifting or kettlebell. Just feel lucky to be able to progress. My first Neupert program kicked my butt, but I definitely gained strength. When I started that program the 24s felt super heavy, now a 24 feels super light. My goal is to one day do the double 48s. For now it’s 32s and then maybe Giant 3.0 with 36s by years end.

@mightyrose Those are great numbers for your 3.0, you sure that was your 5rm? I got about half that on my W1 numbers with my 5rm.

You come off incredibly modest in your comments, but damn I hope I'm kicking ass like you are when I'm 57!

@belovedsone When I started with the 32s they were more like my 3RM. I’m now likely a 5RM, as number 6 on each set is a big strain. It’s my conditioning that gets me more so than the presses. By the time I get to 6 my heart rate is definitely showing it.

Back