Giant question

garyt

I have been doing s&s for 2 months now and love it. Was thinking of going giant ever other day just to spice up my life. That’s fine right?

Right now I’m doing s&s with single arms (25 a side) and tgu on a 13.5 kg kb. I’m 6 ft/180 lbs. what size do y’all recommend I do for giant?

@garyt I did S and s up to 32kg. Currently doing the giant 1.0

In answer to your question I’m doing the giant with double 20s and am sure it’s fine BUT id wonder why? S and s took long enough to get to the simple standard and was tough. I think another program would detract from your ability to progress on simple. Equally giant is tough. No way id be able for anything on the ‘off’ days. Find the kettlebell programs I’ve done so far to actually be efficient and work as prescribed.

@garyt DFW = Dry Fighting Weight. You found the Remix version which adds a bunch of rows/pullups and swings.

DFW is good in itself, but adding extra swings and back work is an upgrade.

as a 6ft 180lb man, would 2 15 KG work?

That's a bit of a "how long is a string?" kind of question.

DFW uses your 5RM for double kb press; that is, a weight you can press for 5 reps. If that's 2x15 that'll be your working weight.

@garyt I'd highly recommend doing S&S to achieving Simple Timeless. You need to have swings down before you can benefit from other programs. Why? The swing is core to many other movements, especially the clean, which is integral to The Giant.

S&S gives you the overhead press strength to be able to accomplish The Giant safely.

@garyt For Giant, it's already laid out, you have a choice between using bells that are your 5rm or 10rm.

If you aren't really giving yourself any rest days, depending on what you're capable of I would say go with the 5rm for the 3.0. Again it boils down to your work capacity and recovery rate, I personally need the rest time and couldn't do another program on top of it.

@garyt Most people don't fit a strict 10RM due to the linear KB weight.

Eg. I had the option of starting with 16s (14RM) or 20s (7RM).

IMO as long as your lighter option doesn't start out as endurance/cardio/trash volume, both heavier/lighter should work fine due to the progressive overload built in.

If you're doing a 13.5KG, I assume you have adjustables - so you don't even have to consider the above, just test you're 10RM and use that.

@sally16 Unfortunately I have a hand me down 30 lb one that I’ve been using (just converting to kg here for simplicity). Not sure if getting another 30 (target has them) makes more sense or getting 2 16 kg

@garyt The Giant tells you what weight to use. And yes, you can probably do S&S on the supposed rest days if you want but that is something you need to try out and observe how your recovery and sessions go.

Back