Goal: Chubby but muscular

extrinsic

Hey, everyone. So I went back to the gym 3 months ago and I'm really enjoying the grind. Anyway, my goal seems unconventional to many, but I would like to achieve a somewhat chubby but muscular physique. Here's a photo and a photo for reference. Also this one. So it's almost a strongman physique, but not yet there, if that makes sense.

Usually, I start my workouts with a 15-minute jog on a treadmill, then proceed with resistance training. Here's a glimpse of my weekly workout plan:

Day 1: Legs (lunges, Romanian deadlift, leg extension with machine)

Day 2: Back and Biceps (Dumbbell bent over row, lat pulldown, dumbbell curl)

Day 3: Shoulders and Abs (Dumbbell shoulder press, dumbbell lateral raise, cable standing row)

Day 4: Chest and Triceps (Dumbbell bench press, dumbbell inclined bench press, dumbbell tricep extension, cable tricep pushdown)

For food, well, I just eat whatever. I'm just about to start with whey and creatine next week since upon assessing my protein intake, it seems that I am not meeting the required amount.

Other info:

My max weight for most dumbbell exercises is 25 lbs. I'm planning on doing deadlift pero di ko sure if kaya ko lalo na wala ako friends pa so no spotter.

I'm currently 92kg. I'm also short, standing 5'5". Age is early 30's. Here's my photo.

So yeah, I'm not sure if what I'm doing here is correct. I'm also thinking of inserting 1 BJJ session per week in the future pag well adjusted na ako. Hope to get your thoughts kasi I can't seem to find a post similar to my goal here.

Thanks, all!

@evilrises Yup! I’m actually hypertensive and just a week ago, nag okay na ang lab tests ko as per my doctor. So I think if I’ll maintain this weight and just build muscles, hopefully okay all throughout.

@extrinsic Nice. Ako naman tumaas blood sugar dahil sa Prothin as per my doc, pero halos same goal lang din pupuntahan ko, Strongman Body. Nasa 110 ang weight ko ngayon, down from 116. Nag Push Pull Legs ako, pero try ko nga tong split mo. Mid section na talaga problema ko. Hirap patunaw beer fats, hahaha.

@kenchar1613 Hey, ako naman I just started Athlene and medyo swerte na din siguro kasi naabutan ko yung whey protein controversy before ako nag start haha. Though I'll check for any effect especially that I just finished creatine loading phase. Same issue rin ako with beer belly medyo nag lalalawlaw na sya buti naayos na pakonti konti lol.

For my routines, share ko na lang that I use Caliber Fitness na app. Okay sya for me since holistic ang workout and targeted lahat ng muscles na gusto ko ma develop + the progress report.

If anyone will download the app, add me up! Parang wala kasing Pinoy sa groups dun :)

@extrinsic The guys in your references are all packing serious muscle, that’s for sure.

Honestly, you’d probably benefit from any conventional routine built around the major compound lifts (SBD, etc) as long as you stick with it consistently and get proper nutrition, rest.

I can’t see your own photo ref since the link appears to be broken but if you’re basically starting from scratch, you might still benefit from a cut or a recomp (based on your height/weight) else you risk getting too fat, even for your goal physique.

P.S. You don’t need a spotter to do conventional deadlifts, I say go for it. Proper form can be learned on your own and your technique can be improved gradually over time.

@mocast83 Hey, man. Thanks! I'm using an app for my routines and I think they're working well so far. For deadlifts, how many times can I do it in a week? I am thinking of inserting it on my leg day, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea since I'm already putting enough stress on the rest of my leg muscles.

Not sure what happened to the link but here's me: https://pixhost.to/gallery/aWA6E

Here's the best inspo I can find so far:
I might consider recomp instead since so far, my weight has been stable for the past weeks. Though I was able to lose around 3 kg already since I started.

Thanks again!

@extrinsic Yup, no need to complicate what’s working so far. If it’s working, it’s working. Deadlifts mostly hit the legs (hamstrings, glutes, etc) but also tax your core and back, so you could insert them into your leg day (or back).

That said, if your goal is purely hypertrophy, you can definitely get by without deadlifting. Different story if explosiveness and strength are a concern.

I do recommend you integrate barbell squats into your routine though as the pros are just too many and these will work almost all of your muscle groups while building immense lower body strength.

Oh, and you should try your link - not sure if it’s my end but it’s not working.

Good luck!!!

@mocast83 Thanks again! I will definitely try barbell squats as well. Tried using pixhost for my image instead so I hope it works now. Well, I'm still way too far but I'm really pumped up! Thanks, brother!

Back