Haven’t lost any inches despite 5-6 days of exercise for 6-7 weeks

athleteto

I am 5’4” 120 lb (2.5 years after having a child). I’m not really interested in any number on the scale as I know it wouldn’t be the full picture of health but I am trying to feel good in my clothes again. Just for reference though, I was 110 when I got pregnant2.5 years ago. I have previously always been 107-110.

In mid May I started doing Reformer Pilates 3x a week. End of May and early June I added running or a 20 min HIIT routine 2-3x a week. I did not measure my body when I started all of this but I did measure myself on June 13

I measured myself today (almost a month after) and there was no change at all (waist, hips, bicep, bust, thigh). I’m so surprised because I feel so great working out regularly - I thought it would translate into body changes.

Technically I weigh the same as I did before but I don’t check the scale often

In terms of diet - I wasn’t counting calories meticulously but I was generally making sure I was eating healthy. Some days I would count and was eating around 1400-1600 calories a day.

Anyone else have this experience or could shed light? Do I need to wait a little longer to see results in measurements ?

Also getting my period any day. I also measured after a big breakfast but this shouldn’t have impacted bicep for example

@athleteto You’re already pretty small, I don’t know that you have enough fat in any one place to expect a dramatic difference doing mostly cardio/body weight. Maybe try replacing one or two sessions with some heavy weights? I know everyone always says this but a recomp situation might be your friend. I’m betting the difference is due to the amount of muscle you had previously.

@athleteto You might want to start counting calories. The key is consistency. Yeah some days you eat 1400-1600, but is it everyday? A major part of fat loss is diet. Exercise will help you, and is great on helping us shorter girls eat more calories, but you can't outrun a bad diet. Get a food scale, weigh your food, and log it so you can get a better picture of your intake.

@mattom That makes a lot of sense. I have a scale and will start doing this. Question though - I calculated my TDEE and I have to eat around 1597 a day - which is reasonable. Do you eat back the calories you lost in exercise or no?

@athleteto I usually don't. My calories already account for my activity level. I think a 1400-1600 calorie goal is pretty reasonable given your activity level. If you feel like you need to cut lower, you can certainly do so. But my thought is if you feel lethargic, hungry, or low energy, it's a sign you may not be eating enough.

@mattom Yea I wouldn’t be able to do below 1400 realistically with how active I am now. Sounds miserable 😂. Def have to make sure I’m eating enough to workout 6 days a week.

@athleteto It doesn't matter if you do or don't as long as your remain in a deficient. It's personal preference.

The calories burned during your work out may also not be accurate. So be careful eating them back! (Your watch says you burned 250 calories, I would believe 200 calories.)

That's awesome you're active & have been working out! It's great for your health - mentally & physically. :) But it sounds like you're not eating at a deficient for weight loss.

If your TDEE is 1597 & you're eating about that everyday you are maintaining with diet alone. If you average 150 calories of exercise per day (just guessing) you will be losing less than 1/3lb per week. In a month's time you will have lost about 1.25lbs of fat. This isn't enough to change your body measurements, & it may not show different on the scale based on water retention / bloating / your cycle.

If you are serious about your weight loss, I would get a food scale to measure your food & stick to a deficient. Weekly deficients are okay it doesn't have to be every day. (EX., eat at 1300 some days to eat 1600 on the weekend.) This is also personal preference.

It takes approximately 3500 calories to lose 1lb. It's very normal to lose .5-1lb per week. I aim for 3/4lb per week which means I want a deficient of 375 calories per day or 2600 calories per week. If this is your goal, calculate how many calories you burn from exercise, subtract from that weekly deficient amount, then you will know how much you should be eating per day.

Good luck! P.S., never eat under your BMR!

@dougt Just so I’m understanding correctly - according to the online TDEE calc - being 117-120 lbs, 5’4, and exercising 5-6 days a week - it says my calories to cut are 1597 and my maintenance is around 2097. Shouldn’t I lose .5-1 lb a week if I eat around 1597?

I agree completely with weighing the food. I guess this is what comes with being petite. I def have not been tracking anything and who knows how many calories I actually eat on a weekly basis. I have a food scale and will start that.

@athleteto TDEE calculators are total estimations.

What I do is calculate my TDEE as completely sedentary as a jump off point. I use a few calculators then use the mean. Then I calculate my workout calories independently to add on.

So for example:
- Calculator says 1500 TDEE for sedentary.
- Work out 4x per week. Fitness watch says 250 calories burned. Assume 200 calories. This is 800 calories per week.
- This averages to 1615 calories per day.
- I would then eat 1240 calories to maintain a 3/4lb weight loss per week.

Or example #2:
- Calculator says 1500 TDEE.
- I know I work out & want to eat back my calories.
- I calculate .5lb weight loss per week - 1750 calories.
- This equals to 1250 calories per day.
- Then you work out you realize your watch says 350 calories. Assume 275 on the safe side.
- Eat back these calories for your day.

Don't rely on the TDEE Calculators to estimate your calories burned per week. And you may have a higher TDEE than what it suggests depending on your lifestyle. If you're chasing around a toddler, on your feet all day, have an active job, go on lots of walks, clean a lot, etc this all adds to your daily caloric needs.

You will most likely have to adjust once you start gathering data for yourself. There's spreadsheets you can use to precisely pin down your TDEE if you're into that thing. But basically start with a number that seems reasonable. If you think that number is 1597 go for it! Then start calorie counting & weighing your food. (EVERYTHING you eat. Snacks from baby, bite of something, etc.) If you don't see a loss after 3-4 weeks drop lower by 100-150 calories. Try 1450 calories for 3-4 weeks. Etc... This also works in the reverse. If you eat 1300 calories a day & are dropping 1.5lbs per week it would be safe to bump up to 1500 calories per day to still maintain ~1lb of weight loss per week.

This will actually be incredibly helpful to learn in order to maintain as well. You will start to better understand portion sizes by eyeballing when using the scale. You will also know what your TDEE should look like. If you know 1600 calories is a .75lb weight loss consistently for you then you know to maintain you can eat 1975 daily.

So one of two things is happening right now:
1. 1575 is your TDEE for weight loss but you have no idea how much you're consuming so you're eating over without realizing.
2. 1575 is not your TDEE for that amount of weight loss.

Sorry that's a huge wall I tried to break it up & explain as best as possible with text!

@dougt Wow this was so helpful!!!!! I really appreciate how you explained that. I’m going to go with 1575 to begin with and see what happens in terms of trends. Will drop by 100-150 if needed. For dinner I cooked okonomiyaki and literally weighed everything - it was a little time consuming but now I understand why people say they can get a sense of calories more easily the more they track. I also now know exactly how many calories are in this meal and can easily track it next time I make it and eat it. So all in all not too bad

@athleteto Weight loss, gain, maintenance, there are all largely determined by diet. So how many calories you consume versus burn off.

I love that you’re not focusing on the scale and are exercising! Just pay attention to your diet. That’s the key step you’re missing, that’s all

Edit: just as an edit I’m 5’1 went from 150 to 115 in three year though. So by no means a fast weight loss. It takes time! Strength training and walking and watching my calories are what helped. So I ate around the calories you’re eating, I just made sure I was active and on my feet all day even outside of exercise.

@willyjoejimbob Love this approach. And yes I don’t want to focus too much on the scale. I feel like it can be a huge demotivation. I realized that long term motivation for me is really how I feel after exercising.

@athleteto Are you gaining muscles and losing weight? Have you take any Progress pics? Do you feel your skin/areas of your body that are “tighter”?

It may not be inches or weight, but other NSVs that you have. If you feel great, eating healthy, and doing things that make you faster or stronger, you’re already ahead of the game.

@athleteto I am experiencing the same thing, minus having a child. I feel better and stronger but have only gained an inch in my butt 😔. I think it might need more time or I need to add more walking to my day.

@saintcody777 Wait can you explain macros? How to calculate? I’ve been seeing a lot about macros and how the ratios btw fat carbs and protein have helped a lot of people lose weight without having to drastically go down in calories. Like how some ppl were eating 1200-1300 calories but then ate 1800-2000 cal but also counting their macros and be able to lean out and get toned

@athleteto Oh goodness! You’re at my goal weight and same height, but yeah if you’re trying to lose weight especially at those stats, you have to track meticulously, good luck!

Edit: since you mentioned you used to be 107-110, tbh a little jealous.. 😉

@mvp23 Yea I was naturally thin and petite for sure! I’m not sure if I’ll ever get back there haha. My hips 10000% widened and the idea of ever wearing my pre baby jeans is just wild and would require some form of miracle. That pre baby body was really something to behold I won’t lie lol.

I was naturally thin until college when I gained 15 lbs (didn’t drink at all but ya know - college). It was made worse by the fact that I felt like actual shit. Lethargic, slow, yuck. So I started exercising at age 21. I kept that up on and off and maintained at 107-110 pretty easily until age 32. Then I had a baby! Ended up settling at 120 which is a huge difference from 110 and literally do not know how to dress myself anymore.

Essentially, I don’t want to strive for a scale goal because I noticed in the past it never motivated me enough. What I want is to feel really damn good in my clothes - which means I do have to lose some inches and to tone up. So if I can do that at whatever weight, I’m happy.

@athleteto Ugh I feel this so hard; until my 30’s I was able to stay in the 120’s fairly easily, even got down to 117 through heavy dieting around 31, but after 35 I’ve been struggling 😭 at 141 now but I’d like to be 120 so I can still wear some of my cute outfits that I never let go of!

Back