Haven’t made much progress on lifts on physique even after bulking. Is there something wrong with my program or is it something else?

melimeli2210

I’ve been running PHAT with some modifications for years now and I haven’t progressed much with my upper body lifts. My bench hasn’t gone up in months even after starting a bulk. My overhead press is also less than half my bench. I’ve made some progress on my deadlift and squat and other lower body stuff though. I’ve been bulking since July, I’m 5’9 and went from Im 147 to 160 eating between 2300-2500 on average but I feel like I mostly gained fat since my lifts didn’t go up much besides my deadlift which could’ve been because of better form and nervous system adaptation and I look fatter around my stomach and face. I shoot for 0.8+ grams of protein per pound of body weight btw.

Here is my program, keep note that I can’t hit all of these for the rep ranges listed but that’s what I attempt, and if I fail to hit it I try again until I do. But most of my upper body lifts have been stalled even during the bulk.I go to either mechanical failure or when I hit the reps I’m aiming for each set, usually the former since I fail before hitting the rep goal.

Upper body Strength
Barbell Bench press: 210lbs 3 x 5
Weighted Dips: BW + 35lbs 3 x 8
Weighted Pull-ups: BW + 20lbs 3 x 5
Barbell Rows: 155lbs 3 x 5
Barbell Shoulder press: 100lbs 3 x 5
Hex Bar Shrugs: 165lbs 3 x 8
Barbell curls: 95lbs 3 x 6
Skull crushers 90lbs 3 x 8

Lower body strength
Leg press: 340lbs 3 x 5
Squat: 255lbs 3 x 5
Quad extension: 165lbs 3 x 6
Hamstring curls: 156lbs 3 x 6
Standing calf raise: 125lbs 4 x 8
Seated calf raise: 70lbs 4 x 8
Farmer walks: 190lbs x 3

Shoulders and back
Dumbbell shoulder press: 50lbs 3 x 8
Lat pull downs:150lbs 3 x 8
Dumbbell shrugs: 50lbs 3 x 10
Rows: 190lbs 3 x 8
Reverse pec deck: 115lbs 3 x 12
Chin ups: 165lbs 3 x 8
Lateral raises: 25lbs 3 x 15
Reverse Cable crossover : 13lbs 3 x 12

Lower body hypertrophy
Deadlift: 335lbs 3 x 3
Leg press: 300lbs 3 x 10
Quad extension: 140lbs 3 x 10
Hamstring curl: 135lbs 3 x 10
Standing calf raises: 115lbs 3 x 10
Seated calf raise: 65lbs 3 x 10
Smith Hip thrusts: 345lbs 3 x 5

Upper body hypertrophy
Bench press: 185lbs 3 x 8
Incline Dumbbell press: 70lbs 3 x 8
Pec deck: 155lbs 3 x 10
Straight bar Spider curls: 70lbs 3 x 10
Incline curls 30lbs 3 x 10
Hammer curl: 30lbs 3 x 10
Seated EZ bar Tricep extension: 60 3 x 12
Tricep pull down: 50lbs 3 x 10
Narrow grip Chest press: 160lbs 3 x 8

@seitsem%C3%A4n None of the programs I’ve looked too have excited me, they’re all low when it comes to volume and variety and usually don’t run 5 days. They’re usually either 3-4 or 6-7 days a week.

@melimeli2210 Why does it matter how many "days" the program is? I never understand why so many people want something that cycles every 7 days. Just pick a 4 day one you like and loop on whatever day you're calling 5.

@melimeli2210 Right now, I'm running an 8-day program (mostly to accommodate home days and gym days). But you will be able to do all at a decent gym.

Quads tris

Hams bis

Chest rear delts

Back side delts

2 different days for each

I just train as often as I can, anywhere from 4-6 times per week. So lots of variety. You would probably want more volume than I'm doing, just add sets. I can send if that sound exciting to you.

@melimeli2210 PHAT is a lot of volume for some people - you may be running into recovery issues. I look at a day in the gym like it's one step back, and recovery as a step (and a nudge) forward. If you aren't recovering enough from the stimulus it's just one step back one step forward, spinning your wheels.

I had a big sticking point in my bench a couple of year ago - was trying for a benchmark and couldn't get over the hump. Covid hit, and I had to reduce my volume and workout enough to fit into a 1 hour appointment slot at my gym. I removed all accessory work, and just did compounds... finally busted through that plateau. I did add a third upper hypertrophy day to what looks like a modified PHUL workout, so 5 days in the gym, about an hour each workout.

Now, things are back to normal - but I've retained that training method, and my lifts continue to progress - and progress a lot faster than they had in the last few years. For me at least, less was certainly more.

@melimeli2210 Your lifts look solid enough for 160lbs if your focus is hypertrophy. Tbh, I don’t think your program is your issue, I think you’re simply not gonna maximize your physique if you don’t push your bodyweight substantially up. Imo, gain 20-30lbs slowly over the next year or two and be patient. That’s going to be the difference maker.

About fat gain, I looked at your profile and you at 160 look exactly the same as 150 which is great - whole point of bulking is to put a lot of bodyweight on and not look much fatter. You won’t look better shirtless when heavier 8 times out of 10, but you don’t look worse. You likely fill out your shirts better and imo you should keep the momentum going. Putting on a lot of muscle takes years and at 5’9, you’re leaving a lot on the table if you don’t push past 160. Trust the process - get to 180-190 or so over the next couple years, hold it, then cut back down and I can almost guarantee you’ll be a very very solid 160 compared to your 160 now.

@johnc101 I do realize that I need to commit to a bulk at some point. I just hate how chubby my face looks, even when I was ten pounds lighter it was still pretty pudgy. If I bulk to 180 I’m going to probably have a triple chin or something. I want I get lean enough that I can bulk slowly and not have a fat face for the next few years.

@melimeli2210 What’s PHAT? Have you actually got your bf% tested yet. You can go up to 30% on a bulk. And a lot of nutrition shops have that nutrishop I believe it’s called does it free.

@melimeli2210 I’ve personally made the most progress as far as strength with shorter workouts- less volume/ more weight. Basic lifts- focus on compound lifts. If your lacking in over head press, train it twice a week. Sets of 5 or less to failure of course. Every exercise you do try and safely use weight that may be a little heavier than you might be comfortable with so your body will get used to the stress of overload. I’ll do-

Monday- chest/ light tris- bench press, incline dumbbell press- dips- flys/ pullover superset- rope pull downs for tris

Tuesday- back/light bis- pull ups/ weighted pull ups- t- bar rows, bent over rows, supinated pull downs, pull downs, face pulls, reverse flys- bicep curl 21’s

Wednesday- legs- heavy squats (enough said)

Thursday- rest

Friday- shoulders and arms- heavy over head barbell press- lateral raises, bent over lateral raises, reverse machine flys, then blast your biceps and triceps

Heavy reps with a little more rest time and no less then 4 and no more than 8. Hope this helps

@melimeli2210 Hello, just few cents from a begginer...I am 5'10 155lbs, over 30 years old. I consider myself in solid form with good strengh as a result of years of manual work. Decided to start to lift and I follow athleanx youtube full body workout A/B split that focuses on principal movements as squat/push/pull and I modified it a bit. Don't try to overwork, recovery is very important, that's why I workout 3 times per week.

A
Barbell squat 3x6
Barbell hip thrust 3×10
Barbell bench press 3×7
Push ups 3x10(
Chin ups 3×7
Barbell biceps curl 2x8
Face pulls 2x12

B
Deadlift 3x5
Barbell reverse lounge 3x10
Barbell overhead press 3x6
Push ups 3x10
Barbell bent rows 3x10

By no means this is a perfect workout for everybody, I wanted to do 5x5 workout first but than decided for that that focuses on whole body. I am not obsessed by weight numbers, I add 5 lbs to squat/bench press every week, 10lbs to deadlift every week, 2.5lbs to overhead press. I work at home which is great. Started with a barbell, focused on proper form and INTENSITY every repetition. Eat correctly and get 7-8 hours of sleep!