Heat & water retention

ocean_soul

Looking to see if anyone is experiencing something like this or has before

I do cico on the lose it app. Lift 4 days , run 3 days- 1 day off. I just finished Sydney's summertime fine 2.0

I'm in my early 40s 5'1ish and like to be 118-120.

I'm really struggling the past month w weight gain even tho little has changed

The only thing that's changed is it's been extremely hot & humid where I live and I work in a non air conditioned building...I'm spending a lot of time in the heat even when not at work.

I feel so puffy and bloated...I'm not peeing a lot , like my body is clinging to water. When I get like this- I don't get too thirsty and have to force water down..

I've put on 4-5 pounds which is a lot when your small & I feel and see it.

Could it be heat related water retention- my body loves to retain water and sometimes it'll be weeks and then all of a sudden my body releases ...

Appreciate anyone who has some insight or tips!

@ocean_soul Petite Floridian here. Yes, I hold onto 1-4 extra pounds of water weight in these brutal summer months. They magically disappear if I go up north for a day or two.
But don’t worry - there will be a day in late October/early November when it all goes whoosh.

@ocean_soul NOTE: I am not a doctor. You may want to talk to your PCP.

Water retention is probably the cause of the bloat, but low urinary volume and lack of thirst/disgust at drinking are symptoms of medically significant dehydration. Your body is retaining water in tissues and not distributing it to the places it needs to go. The best possible outcome of this is a nasty UTI. It gets worse from there.

It's counterintuitive, but when you're retaining water, you need to find a way to get more water into your digestive system. It doesn't have to be pure water, just no caffeine or alcohol. You can also eat more high-water-content foods (lettuce, bell peppers, watermelon, etc.). But you need something.

Also, the moment you see these signs, try decreasing salt and adding hydration salts or other forms of potassium to your diet (mostly fruits and veggies, which conveniently also contain water). Your body needs to maintain a sodium/potassium balance to prevent dehydration, and it sounds like you're on the wrong side of it.

Thanks! I did much better with water today, the more i drank the more thirsty i was so hopefully things are regulating

...still 90 degrees outside (and not much lower in my work building). It is supposed to cool off tomorrow and the next few weeks-but my building will likely still be warm until it really cools off.

Those that go through this - does it last weeks and weeks ?

I'm really upset w the # on the scale and even more with how my pants are tight around my lower abdomen & just looking puffy.

Assuming I've also gained some fat-weight but not a full 7 pounds since late July - I just didn't do anything different enough.

I was a bit less active in august but I adjusted my calories ...

So frustrating-it's hard to lose weight at my age even a small amount 😭

@ocean_soul Hello y’all, I never knew this was a thing until recently. I think the heat is making me bloated too. I feel bloated in the summer and look bloated. I think this used to happen to me before but lately it’s worse. Maybe cause I’m getting older. I realize that I can’t eat salty foods and greasy foods either. I need to drink much more water than I usually do. I need to drink less soda as well. I’m sick of dealing with this issue.

Back